Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iky

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello, I'm new to keeping bees and would welcome any advise. I treated my bees with apiguard at the beginning of September however the drop is still around 20 per day I thought about using apistan but by the time the strips need removing it will probably be too cold to go in the hive any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello, I'm new to keeping bees and would welcome any advise. I treated my bees with apiguard at the beginning of September however the drop is still around 20 per day I thought about using apistan but by the time the strips need removing it will probably be too cold to go in the hive any suggestions would be appreciated.

oxalic acid treatment over Xmas period, syringe 5ml over each seam of bees

The best thing i have done upto now regarding Varroa is research Oxcalic Acid Vaporizing, it's easy and quick and apparently harmless to bees and brood of all ages and it can be used anytime you feel the need.

No it isn't harmless... Do some more research.

If your bees have no brood (look from bellow?) you could trickle O.A now.

O.A. sublimation requires kit that can be a faff to make/expensive to buy.

All varoa treatments work better/faster when the bees are broodless. especially sealed brood.

All varoa treatments work better/faster when the bees are broodless. especially sealed brood.

Some treatments would be very ineffective if waiting for a natural brood break.

Hi iky, I was in the same situation as you on one hive. I have had Hive Makers Thymol recipe (a sticky post on the forum) on for three weeks with temps approx. 15C during day and 11C during nights. Dropped 980. Your hives are likely to have brood, but just do it. You have nothing to lose. Unless you have someone to help you with vapping three times every 5 days? Good luck.

Back