varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castanea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Advice Please
I am preparing for winter i am totally confused as to which varroa treatment to use. I thought apilifevar, then i read even if you do that you have to treat later on with AF. Wouldn't it be simpler to treat with af now and have done with it. any help and advice thanks

Advice Please
I am preparing for winter i am totally confused as to which varroa treatment to use. I thought apilifevar, then i read even if you do that you have to treat later on with AF. Wouldn't it be simpler to treat with af now and have done with it. any help and advice thanks

I use apilifevar over a 4 week course, oxalic acid at Xmas. all treatments are recommended with an integrated management system so one treatment is not the answer.

Thanks for your reply that 's the problem when you start out in anything little or no knowledge. I had a look online at the container that you hook up to a battery £140. approx, that's a lot for 1 hive. What does the amateur beekeeper use with 1 or 2 hives?

Thanks for your reply that 's the problem when you start out in anything little or no knowledge. I had a look online at the container that you hook up to a battery £140. approx, that's a lot for 1 hive. What does the amateur beekeeper use with 1 or 2 hives?

I think you are looking in the wrong sites. £140 is at the top end of the range. Similar (ok less robust) sublimators are available for around £25. Or you could make your own with a block of metal and a diesel engine heater plug.
There is also the option of making up a solution of OA in syrup and trickling it over the bees during a broodless period in winter.
Different strokes for different blokes :)

I have been looking at Apilifevar Biscuits, which can you use if temp is 15 degrees. which is the best? Terry.

You need to know if you have a problem - I have only had "medium" varroa problems so one treatment of apiguard has been sufficient. Have you monitored the level of varroa in your hive in any way?

Surely one apiguard treatment only removes the phoretic mites off the bees leaving the majority of mites in the brood untouched? Thats why you need a follow on second dose to sort them out when they emerge from the cells.

Surely one apiguard treatment only removes the phoretic mites off the bees leaving the majority of mites in the brood untouched? Thats why you need a follow on second dose to sort them out when they emerge from the cells.

Sorry, one treatment meaning 2 doses as per instructions.

Latest posts

Back