varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddyh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Hi,could anyone suggest a good varroa treatment.Iam a new beekeeper so one that is not too tricky to use would be good,i have found a few mite on the mesh floor but nothing to worry about,one i can use at the end of the season would be good,any ideas?

Bon soir eddy

I have had five years 99% success in zero V. by:

A) using Apiguard trays after removiong honey in early September....

B) dribbling Oxalic Acid into the exposed brood box in Mid-Winter, 21 days after first hard frost..

in both cases following "instructions on the packet"

Thanks for that,and will make a note of your suggestion.What strength oxalic acid or is it stanard.

there have been discussions here on strengths but I just buy in "ready to use" quantities from the usual beekeep suppliers....

There is a new treatment for varroa that is not much dearer than Apiguard and is usable ALL YEAR ROUND WITHOUT AFFECTING EITHER BROOD OR HONEY called MAQS. I am going to use up my remaining Apiguard and will fumigate with oxalic at Xmas or thereabouts as usual as I have the goods for the purpose and don't like the thought of wasting it. For new beeks MAQS looks like the real deal for the moment. Most BKAs will probably buy in bulk for their members and that would be the place to try first - assuming you are a member of your local association?

There is a new treatment for varroa ?

It is not new. It is formic acid and it is not meant to use year around.
It does not work during colder half of the year.

- make treatments after honey harvest
. formic acid needs over 17C day temperature but over 25C queen losses will appear.

- treatmen once a week durin 3 weeks that all brood cycles will be treated.

Read more from Canana "Flash treatment formic acid."

I use bienenwohl throughout the summer and it works well

Surely it does but main principle is that treatments are avoided during yield season. All the time treatments are not needed.

The treatmenst are the most uneffective when hive is largest and brood are capped. After harvest it is time to act and protect winter bee brood againt varroa violating.

It is waste of money at least to pour stuff into hives during summer.

Last edited:
HMs thymol recipe after harvest.

+1

Minimal varroa counts last year after using it since 2011.

* Like an average of 2/hive/week.

Edit
And much cheaper as well...

:iagree:
+1

Minimal varroa counts last year after using it since 2011.

* Like an average of 2/hive/week.

Edit
And much cheaper as well...

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
+ I have been using Hive Clean as a maintenance dose at each inspection. 0 varroa on last inspection on all hives.

Latest posts

Back