Varroa Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not using it but using hivemakers thymol recipe which i believe is similar. The first batch I put on you could see them flying around like crazy but settled down a few days later.

The second batch that went on Wednesday same happened again, this time though the queens in both hive's have definitely been effected as the're off laying when I checked Saturday (only few eggs in both hives) but lots of bee's emerging going to check tomorrow night and hopefully everything relaid.

2nd year of Thymovar for me, had no problems with it all. Very pleased with results last year. What are your bees doing to suggest they don't like it? It is normal for them to attempt to remove it or propolise it.

My bees are normally very good, can stand next to the hives in just a t-shirt and never have a problem, since I placed Thymovar on last Thursday, they go for anything that moves near the hives, not just one hive but all of them.....maybe they will settle down in a few days.

I have just used Hive makers thymol treatment and yes when I put it on they did make a loud buzzing and moved away from it pretty quick. I put it down to them being very sensitive to smells and it has one hell of a smell.

I didn’t have any kitchen roll as per admins amendment to the instructions so I used cotton wool roll, any one see any issues with doing this?

Thanks Simon

I don't tend to stand next to mine without beesuit on, so perhaps I've not noticed temper changes. Although if anything my grumpy hive was a little better behaived at my last inspection after the Thymovar went on.

I have just used Hive makers thymol treatment and yes when I put it on they did make a loud buzzing and moved away from it pretty quick. I put it down to them being very sensitive to smells and it has one hell of a smell.

I didn’t have any kitchen roll as per admins amendment to the instructions so I used cotton wool roll, any one see any issues with doing this?

Thanks Simon

Exactly same behaviour with my bee's when putting thymol in hive. Id say cotton wool would have same effect but im no expert =). The Kleenex I used in two weeks was removed completely in one hive, the other hive had a little bit left. Also had a few dead bees that must have got stuck on top of it when closing the hive up.

Used Hivemaker's recipe with added beeswax on strings inserted between topbars.

They clearly dislike the smell but no impact on behaviour.. (mine are very docile).

Thymol treatments are best put in with a full width open entrance to start with,reducing it gradually over a few days,more so in hot weather like now,also helps to prevent queens being balled.

Yes, bees do not like odor of thymol. That is fact.
But you need not ask bees' opinion. Just do it.

Who likes tooth drilling? Hands up!

I had my first today saw 1 and only one varroa mite on thorax of adult can i treat with thymol and introdce a queen at the same time or should I intoduce allow HM to settle then treat to avoid pheromone masking?

Hey hollybees - I was advised to wait a while after introducing a new queen before treating. I am going to give it a few weeks. September is looking good weather wise so it might not do any harm to hold off.

Dont take my word for it though !

and the bees don't like it

It's not put on for them to like it; it is for their long term benefit.

Just like Finman says, really.

i am trying out the new hive alive to see how good it really is .... will let you know the outcome

I had my first today saw 1 and only one varroa mite on thorax of adult ...

Seeing a mite actually on a bee is, for those with normal eyesight, a pretty rare event -- even when the colony has an unacceptably high level of infestation.

Seeing a single mite on a single bee is NOT an indication of a low level of infestation.
Rather the opposite.

Measure the natural death rate by drop count (and average over several days) to get a better (if imperfect) estimation of the problem.

Back