Varroa Treatment for Queen Rearing Nucs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 poly hives
Last season I used the Demarre Method to rear my first queens. 10 Nucs successfully came through the winter, however they all have a heavier Varroa load than I would like. I treated the Nucs with VarroaMed once the queen had started laying, once a week for 3 weeks, then each Nuc had another treatment on 02/01/19.

I will be Queen Rearing this year, how do you treat your Queen Rearing Nucs for Varroa?

Many Thanks

Last season I used the Demarre Method to rear my first queens. 10 Nucs successfully came through the winter, however they all have a heavier Varroa load than I would like. I treated the Nucs with VarroaMed once the queen had started laying, once a week for 3 weeks, then each Nuc had another treatment on 02/01/19.

I will be Queen Rearing this year, how do you treat your Queen Rearing Nucs for Varroa?

Many Thanks

I think the question you need to be asking is: "Should I propagate a queen that is clearly susceptible to varroa"?

I think the question you need to be asking is: "Should I propagate a queen that is clearly susceptible to varroa"?

:winner1st:

At best select from stock that shows some resistance.

There is a BIG difference between queen rearing... to increase or replace lost stock.

.... and breeding for traits you want... which in my book is breeding for bee improvement!!!!

:calmdown:

Latest posts

Back