Varroa issues help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tweezers,a mirror for seeing under the bee's belly as they walk in through a clear plastic tube,kind of miniture cattle crush.
Hivemaker have you been Reading Hedgerow Petes posts?
So ok you see a bee with a varroa mite on its undercarrage so now what happens? Where do the twezzers come into play?
On the other hand I'll have a pint of whatever it is your drinking.

Regards;

Bcrazy,you can read HP's method for yourself as written by him,the tweezers are for picking the mite's off his carni's,stupid boy Pike,what did you think they were for.
You may need a drink after though.

Method by HP.
now lets see if we can in thearoy get you completly varroa free by the weekend, in theroy you would have an over wintering sized nest say 5,000 bees, just for easy and simplisity lets say 10,000 bees and lets say we have a varroa might drop that would be say roughly 90% dropping that means you are now holding a hive that has 9,000 varroa free bees and 1,000 dirty ones, so what I have done on several hives and it is sad and very extreme but just play it out , 1,000 dirty bees, if we now remove the hive to the side of the stand i used two seperate places in the bee shed, light gennerator a magifying lens and other junk, so any way new bee hive filled with fresh plain foundation and one found queen all i did was link the two hives with a small length of clear plastic hose pipe with a small notch cut in it small enough for a bee to escape but only if i moved my finger in front of the notch is a small hole to stuff a match stick in to block it and then all you do is get the girls to walk along the hose pipe and you pick the dirty ones of, just dont forget to have a mirror under the pipe to check for under mites, it took me a whole day 10 hours to do it but it did work and the bee hive is then VARROA FREE

Nice dreams....

_38187105_fungimite-hria300.jpg

Last edited:
Method by HP.
now lets see if we can in thearoy get you completly varroa free by the weekend, in theroy you would have an over wintering sized nest say 5,000 bees, just for easy and simplisity lets say 10,000 bees and lets say we have a varroa might drop that would be say roughly 90% dropping that means you are now holding a hive that has 9,000 varroa free bees and 1,000 dirty ones, so what I have done on several hives and it is sad and very extreme but just play it out , 1,000 dirty bees, if we now remove the hive to the side of the stand i used two seperate places in the bee shed, light gennerator a magifying lens and other junk, so any way new bee hive filled with fresh plain foundation and one found queen all i did was link the two hives with a small length of clear plastic hose pipe with a small notch cut in it small enough for a bee to escape but only if i moved my finger in front of the notch is a small hole to stuff a match stick in to block it and then all you do is get the girls to walk along the hose pipe and you pick the dirty ones of, just dont forget to have a mirror under the pipe to check for under mites, it took me a whole day 10 hours to do it but it did work and the bee hive is then VARROA FREE[/QUOTE]

Bonkers ! but I like it

Now i'm still on this Ph thing so here goes .

and from these test it does seem that with a lower Ph more brood is reared
The High Ph was the lowest, So would lower Ph syrup work better.

this is what i have read and it's late so i might of mest up big time and got it totally wrong :(

Title: Effect of diet pH on the consumption, brood rearing, and pH of worker jelly produced by caged honey bees.
Personal Authors: Herbert, E. W., Jr., Shimanuki, H.
Author Affiliation: Bioenvironmental Bee Lab., USDA-SEA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA.
Editors: No editors
Document Title: Apidologie

Abstract:
The glandular secretion fed by nurse bees to worker larvae is described as 'worker jelly'. There were no significant differences in the pH of worker jelly produced by nurse bees (in 4 caged nuclei) offered a pollen substitute ranging in pH from 4.1 to 8.0. Over 80% of all jelly sampled had a pH within the range 4.00-4.30. The most food was consumed by bees offered pollen or pollen substitutes with a pH of 6.6, 4.7 or 5.5 (rather than 4.1 or 8.0). The most brood (mean of 4 nuclei) was reared by bees fed diets with a pH of 4.7 or 5.5 (575.6 and 549.1 cm², respectively); the least was by bees fed the diet with pH 8.0 (280.9 cm²). The results indicate that bees have the capability to buffer diets with extreme pH values and produce brood food within a narrow pH range.
Author.

Latest posts

Back