Varroa in October

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 2 : 42 units

Bees doing great though. 19 degrees C and full activity.

Must decide :hairpull:

Don't waste time thinking about it, all the while your winter bees are being produced.
A natural drop of zero on some of my colonies, up to around twenty from one colony and all mine are being treated.
I should add that mite counting is not something I bother with, this year was just out of curiosity.

Longer the exposure the more likely resistance to it can eb developed by the mites....which is why 6 weeks and no longer.
It's no big deal opening up a hive and removing the strips in any weather or temperatures.

It's not just the length of the exposure but also that the dose drops to sublethal levels which is what promotes the development of resistance.

Vaped my bees for their second time in five days. Two out of the three large colonies 100 or so mite drop after first vape 50 or so second vape. One colony not a single mite drop from two vapes so far. There are plenty of flying bees bringing in yellow pollen to all three colonies

Me neither usually
This year my mite counting has grown from sheer disbelief

To be quite honest, it was your results that caused the curiosity. :)
After 6 days, one colony had a drop of 20 or so (once in double figures I guesstimate) The rest were in single figures and one little **** still crawling around.
Second OAV carried out, I left entrances open again as they were piling Ivy in. I did a little video of the entrance at the end of three minutes OAV to show what affect it has. The colony revs up and there is some congestion at the entrance but all returns to normal in a minute or two.

Latest posts

Back