Varroa count during Apiguard treatment - any significance?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just stick to 5ml of 3.2% per full seam of bees,some colonys may only have 4 or 5 seams of bees,so pouring 50ml of oxalic over them is not the best idea, the oxalic also eats away the mouth parts of the mites,so of course they are going to starve to death,and of course it's supposed to be used when no brood present.

But of course i no longer use the substance anyway,not needed.
PLEASE ELEBOURATE WHY.

Not if you use a varroa shower, the bees can be treated at any time away from the brood, capped or bald.

I'm not advocating spilling 50ml of Oxy all over just only four frames, simply telling you that 10 or 20 is not enough for a full BB.

The acid can only eat away those mites that get coated in the treatment, not all on the floor are efected, get out your microscope and have a look at a few.

What I'm saying is the drizzle method is hit and miss at best and quite expensive, 1000 mites dropped is a very tiny amount of guests in a double BB colony and hardly touches the surface to what is still an infested group.

1kg of sugar 1Lt water 75 grams of oxalic acid £ 1.50
Same 50ml drizzle for each hive.

My reply is to what you wrote in a separate paragraph in your post,above,50ml drizzle for each hive.
I believe it also acidifys the bees hemoglyph,which in turn effects the feeding mites,causing them to drop for a considerable time after treatment.The recomendation is not to exceed 50ml.
But as you say in your experiance very hit or miss,only about 98% efficiency in a broodless colony, and very expensive,don't really know where the expensive comes from though. How many times have you treated with oxalic trickle method yourself?

Last edited:
My reply is to what you wrote in a separate paragraph in your post,above,50ml drizzle for each hive.
I believe it also acidifys the bees hemoglyph,which in turn effects the feeding mites,causing them to drop for a considerable time after treatment.The recomendation is not to exceed 50ml.

But as you say in your experiance very hit or miss, only about 98%efficiency in a broodless colony, and very expensive, don't really know where the expensive comes from though.

I have used it on three occasions.

The costs of doing it yourself is as I have already shared is £1.50 for a 1.6 Lt batch.

That is £ 65.00 buying it retail, some mark up and expensive if you look at it like it is.

Latest posts

Back