Varroa concerns

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W0otz

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My bees swarmed earlier in the year, I took the opportunity to give them a precutionary OA vape with my gas-vap a couple of days after the new queen started laying but brood not yet sealed - hardly any varroa drop. Early July.
I treated with MAQS in the first week of August - again hardly any varroa drop, but it definitely did something as there was quite a pile of dead bees out the front of the hive. Possibly a bit early to treat for the winter, but first year beekeeper keen to make sure winter bees have the best chance.

Which brings me to yesterday, I decided to take a look at the inspection board, which I'd left in for a very long time though not exactly sure how long. Quite a few mites, a lot more than I expected.
So I dug out the gas-vap, respirator and api-bioxal and vaped. 20Hrs later (I'm impatient!), 111 varroa on the board. Oh.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, what's the recommended treatment from here? Repeat vaping every 4? 5? 6? days? A set number of vapes, or until mite drop tails off?

Glad I checked rather than relying on that August MAQS treatment and calling it a day!

My bees swarmed earlier in the year, I took the opportunity to give them a precutionary OA vape with my gas-vap a couple of days after the new queen started laying but brood not yet sealed - hardly any varroa drop. Early July.
I treated with MAQS in the first week of August - again hardly any varroa drop, but it definitely did something as there was quite a pile of dead bees out the front of the hive. Possibly a bit early to treat for the winter, but first year beekeeper keen to make sure winter bees have the best chance.

Which brings me to yesterday, I decided to take a look at the inspection board, which I'd left in for a very long time though not exactly sure how long. Quite a few mites, a lot more than I expected.
So I dug out the gas-vap, respirator and api-bioxal and vaped. 20Hrs later (I'm impatient!), 111 varroa on the board. Oh.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, what's the recommended treatment from here? Repeat vaping every 4? 5? 6? days? A set number of vapes, or until mite drop tails off?

Glad I checked rather than relying on that August MAQS treatment and calling it a day!
I had to vape one of my colonies 7 times before the mite drop was acceptable. I did them every 5 days. The drop to start with was massive, too many to count.

I'm just not sure where the mites have come from given that the hive has already been treated with MAQS. I was feeling quite confident about overwintering them - they were treated, DPM-wrapped, top insulated and when I've checked in the past there's been minimal mite drop. Now I'm worrying, probably more than I need to given that I've spotted the problem, but still worrying!

I have no idea why this one particular colony of mine had such a large drop compared to its neighbours.

You've demonstrated that despite OA and MAQ you never get rid of all the mites so 'quite a few' two months later is probably par for the course. Personally I wouldn't continue OA now but repeat once in mid winter.

You've demonstrated that despite OA and MAQ you never get rid of all the mites so 'quite a few' two months later is probably par for the course. Personally I wouldn't continue OA now but repeat once in mid winter.
Thanks, that's put my mind at ease a bit. Being new to this I don't really know what constitutes a high varroa load and I was concerned about winter bees being weakened.

IF you have a varroa problem, get rid of them now, before all the winter bees are affected. 111 mites, if that is all there were, is not a great number. Multiply by 3 for those in cells. However one check on the board does not necessarily mean a great deal….

That was after vaping, not just regular drop. Another 163 today.
I think I'll wait another couple of days (5 day spacing) and vape again, then again 5 days after that and see how things look.

Latest posts

Back