Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

elainemary 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
I’ve been pondering for a while the best way to vaporise my Nucs. Thought about vaping from the top via an eke but my vaping wand is a bit unstable.
Thought I’d share the design hubby has come up with. For the BE equipment 2x3 frame or 6 frame Nuc. Also same footprint for Maisemore. The cut outs in the ply are for the feet of the Nuc to sit in & the wand is now very stable. Need to have a dummy run below an empty Nuc first! Thought I’d share, I’m sure some of you will have similar designs but this might help someone, maybe a relative beginner wondering what to do. Think vaping a smaller dose of oxalic is better than trickling at this time of year.

Has been v cold here last couple of weeks and a couple of frosts, snow on the hills last night - see pic of the garden, so think next week will be the perfect time to give each colony & Nucs a vap.
Elaine

Attachments

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I would put something heat resistant under the pan or the ply is likely to burn!
Nice piece of work tho.

hemo 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
A piece of thin ali or tin, a drinks can will cut easily or a pull lid from a tin of fish etc,etc.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
just made a simple little eke (for want of a better word) which fits neatly between the feet of the nuc and holds the Varrox in place I then just quickly cloe up the nuc and move it into position, vape then move it back, as for a heatproof base - I just do it all on a neighbouring hive roof. Carrfully constucting it (which only took five minutes) I've yet to see any sublimate escape. As for the materials? I just use some of the four pointless battens which are meant to be tacked in around the inside of a flatpack cedar hive roof, I have a stack of them
The first photo is the new one made from battens, the rest are of the prototype just made up of scraps of ply I had kicking around.eke 6.jpgeke 5 (1024x576).jpgeke 4 (1024x748).jpgeke 3 (1024x576).jpgeke 1 (1024x873).jpg

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I vape nucs from the top. Home made eke with a crossbar across the middle, with a notch cut out. A notch on one side of the eke. The vapouriser wand sits in both notches and is then stable. Clear polycarbonate roof.

Angry_Mob 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
I got a sheet of ply cut to size, and attached some furniture foam with a large rectangle cut in the middle. On the plywood I had a silicone heat pad. I made a slit in one end of the foam so that the pan could be pushed through.

Formed a nice seal around the base of the polynuc so nothing escaped.

Just subliminate through the front entrance now though.

Tommo 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
When I tried vaporising below the mesh floor I got quite a build up of condensed OA on the mesh so I wondered how effective from below would be.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
When I tried vaporising below the mesh floor I got quite a build up of condensed OA on the mesh so I wondered how effective from below would be.
as effective - plenty of OA gets into the nuc, but to be honest, never seen much OA buildup on the mesh. I usually do it with a feeder on so if you take the lid off you can see the stuff settling on the perspex

Latest posts