Vaporising polyNucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been pondering for a while the best way to vaporise my Nucs. Thought about vaping from the top via an eke but my vaping wand is a bit unstable.
Thought I’d share the design hubby has come up with. For the BE equipment 2x3 frame or 6 frame Nuc. Also same footprint for Maisemore. The cut outs in the ply are for the feet of the Nuc to sit in & the wand is now very stable. Need to have a dummy run below an empty Nuc first! Thought I’d share, I’m sure some of you will have similar designs but this might help someone, maybe a relative beginner wondering what to do. Think vaping a smaller dose of oxalic is better than trickling at this time of year.

Has been v cold here last couple of weeks and a couple of frosts, snow on the hills last night - see pic of the garden, so think next week will be the perfect time to give each colony & Nucs a vap.
Elaine

Attachments

• CED0F6A4-E511-4F09-8C6F-D6719C3EB676.jpeg
    CED0F6A4-E511-4F09-8C6F-D6719C3EB676.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 8B2DE4D3-C9B2-4A00-BC41-BE9BE05058C9.jpeg
    8B2DE4D3-C9B2-4A00-BC41-BE9BE05058C9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • 55FACD3A-6758-45E4-8832-655FCCCCF049.jpeg
    55FACD3A-6758-45E4-8832-655FCCCCF049.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 55
I would put something heat resistant under the pan or the ply is likely to burn!
Nice piece of work tho.

A piece of thin ali or tin, a drinks can will cut easily or a pull lid from a tin of fish etc,etc.

just made a simple little eke (for want of a better word) which fits neatly between the feet of the nuc and holds the Varrox in place I then just quickly cloe up the nuc and move it into position, vape then move it back, as for a heatproof base - I just do it all on a neighbouring hive roof. Carrfully constucting it (which only took five minutes) I've yet to see any sublimate escape. As for the materials? I just use some of the four pointless battens which are meant to be tacked in around the inside of a flatpack cedar hive roof, I have a stack of them
The first photo is the new one made from battens, the rest are of the prototype just made up of scraps of ply I had kicking around.eke 6.jpgeke 5 (1024x576).jpgeke 4 (1024x748).jpgeke 3 (1024x576).jpgeke 1 (1024x873).jpg

I vape nucs from the top. Home made eke with a crossbar across the middle, with a notch cut out. A notch on one side of the eke. The vapouriser wand sits in both notches and is then stable. Clear polycarbonate roof.

I got a sheet of ply cut to size, and attached some furniture foam with a large rectangle cut in the middle. On the plywood I had a silicone heat pad. I made a slit in one end of the foam so that the pan could be pushed through.

Formed a nice seal around the base of the polynuc so nothing escaped.

Just subliminate through the front entrance now though.

When I tried vaporising below the mesh floor I got quite a build up of condensed OA on the mesh so I wondered how effective from below would be.

When I tried vaporising below the mesh floor I got quite a build up of condensed OA on the mesh so I wondered how effective from below would be.
as effective - plenty of OA gets into the nuc, but to be honest, never seen much OA buildup on the mesh. I usually do it with a feeder on so if you take the lid off you can see the stuff settling on the perspex

Latest posts

Back