Vaping temps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Got myself all geared up to enter the exciting world of vaping, and had a last minute re-read of instructions (saved my bacon on many occasions that).
See that it says not to vape below 4 degrees. I've no accurate thermometer to hand, but the BBC weather says we should be in the 2-3 degree region today.

Is the temp important to allow the bees to go for a brief cleanse, or is there some other reason, or should I just go ahead regardless?

All thoughts gratefully received

I think it's the same thinking as not trickling in too cold a temperature. if it is very cold, and the bees tightly clustered vaping is going to break the cluster which could have an adverse effect on the bees. Also, as with trickling, you do want the bees to move around a little bit after treatment to ensure the OA crystals get everywhere so if it's too cold only the outside of the cluster is going to get the full hit.
Only having started vaping last season I don't know all the answers but personally I wouldn't vape in temps any lower than five degrees

Is the temp important to allow the bees to go for a brief cleanse, or is there some other reason, or should I just go ahead regardless?

I think that it is better to wait that this cold period has stopped brood rearing and brood emerge out as much as possible.

Last edited:
I think it's the same thinking as not trickling in too cold a temperature. if it is very cold, and the bees tightly clustered vaping is going to break the cluster which could have an adverse effect on the bees. Also, as with trickling, you do want the bees to move around a little bit after treatment to ensure the OA crystals get everywhere so if it's too cold only the outside of the cluster is going to get the full hit.
Only having started vaping last season I don't know all the answers but personally I wouldn't vape in temps any lower than five degrees

I think that it is better to wait that this cold period has stopped brood rearing and brood emerge out as much as possible.

Thanks both - temperature due to rise at the end of the week so will delay until then.

Another thing that occurred - I was going to leave some fondant on at the same time. So, if that is on when the sublimation occurs, will the oxalic leave a nasty trace on the fondant, and does this matter? I'm assuming not as uncapped stores would presumably be in the same position.

I intend to vape at the end of the week with temps +10c here, just hope its not cats and dogs again

I think it is to do with the vapour condensing on the first surface it hits - either the floor mesh or lower parts of the frames, rather than reaching the cluster or brood.

Latest posts

Back