Van insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
I'm currently saving for a van to replace my ageing estate . I'm aware you need different insurance for a van but don't know much more. I read a little that if you are us in it for a hobby with some income involved then you need commercial insurance? I think I'd need that anyway as I'd be commuting to my day job in it anyway (my day job doesn't involve the use of the van though). I'm just uncomfortable with the view that I'm a 'business' when beekeeping is really just a hobby for me if that makes sense? What are people's experiences with this and do you have any advice?

A van is considered a commercial vehicle regardless of what it is used for.

Most offer cover for private and use for your own business

Defender is covered by Co-op for domestic use and my own business... including trailer up to train weight... just not allowed to carry goods and live stock ( and bees presumably) for third party reward !

Best get some quotes in.

Good luck

I've often thought of a van but when my brother had one he found that the insurance was higher, the road tax was higher, he kept getting stopped by the police at night (work vans aren't meant to be used at night so they check that either the vehicle isn't being driven outside of its insured purposes - or that it's not been used for carrying stolen goods)

and in the end one of the criminal fraternity who needed a van decided to nick it.

So I've always stuck with an estate. Plus our local tip won't let vans in without a limited permit whereas my estate isn't a problem.

If you want to make a contained box area for bees you can fit one to an estate just as easily as in a van - though it obviously reduces visibility.

How about a Ford Toureno / Citroen Berlingo Multispace? They are classed as cars so cheaper insurance and tax but you can remove the seats and have a "van".

My citroen saxo has not had a rear seat squab for years. Rear seats folded flat leaves plenty of space for larger items. I was carrying 2.4m x 106mm fencing posts in it, only a couple of weeks ago - half a dozen poking out the back and half a dozen on the roof rack.

Lathes or a largish ‘buggy’ have been transported, too. Only got two hives (with bees) in at a time. I now need another as it is no longer an economic repair for further road use.

I have a van and pick up, both used for work. As with all motor insurance it is more expensive when you get your first year but given my age and lack of accidents it is now comparable with car insurance which I also have.
My advice , shop around and do this every year, there is no value in stopping with the same insurer.
S

why not get a larger car and have a towing hitch fitted. You can then tow a trailer. get one that can be covered with a plastic 'lid', to cover any hives your transporting.

A trailer is the way to go. Keeps the bees cooler when moving too.

PH

Find an empty carpark and practise. I learnt on a tractor but that's another matter. It still boils down to practice and believe me having had vans and trailers the trailer wins hands down for flexibility.

PH

Agree with PH. I leaned to reverse a four wheel farm trailer initially, although two wheel mowers, cultivators and drills, etc didn’t seem to count - that wasn’t really learned - we just did it!

First though, can you reliably reverse your car - do you reverse into parking spaces (safest for several resons)? Second, place some sticks in each corner of your trailer and just use your inside mirror to keep them, and the trailer, in line while practising your reversing.

Agree with PH. I leaned to reverse a four wheel farm trailer initially, although two wheel mowers, cultivators and drills, etc didn’t seem to count - that wasn’t really learned - we just did it!

First though, can you reliably reverse your car - do you reverse into parking spaces (safest for several resons)? Second, place some sticks in each corner of your trailer and just use your inside mirror to keep them, and the trailer, in line while practising your reversing.

Those old four wheel trailers required real skill. :) :) :)
Especially with a load of sheaves requiring to be backed into a centre bay under a Dutch barn. Greasing the turntable wasn't appreciated by the driver following my helpful deed. Ooh the language!

Yep, and no separate foot brakes, either. Slowly and very carefully was the order of the day. Dad was good at it, of course. We were only learning ... and it was hard enough to steer (no power steering) and to operate the clutch as well!

You can most likely guess what tractor I was driving.

Latest posts

Back