Using reclaimed wood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisbanoe

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been offered some planks that were used on shelves to hold second hand car parts. I'm a bit worried about using them as some have engine oil stains. I ran one through a thicknesser and there is nice clean wood inside and no smell of oil. Do you think it would be ok to use them to make DIY miller feeders? I would use new wood on the base and coat the inside for waterproofing. What about under floor entrances?

They will be fine. I have used all sorts of reclaimed wood and the bees never seemed to come to harm.
I seal all wood with a water based paint so the odd stain is covered.

I can remember some of the old boys soaking hive bodies in sump oil as a standard procedure and I'm sure there are still lots of very old creosote *soaked* hive bodies in use which no longer show any sign of the creosote -until you cut in to them to make a repair, then you smell the stuff.

Personally, in this day and age I'd think twice, it's not a matter of whether it affects the bees but so much as if there's the least chance of contaminant getting into the honey. I know almost everyone will say that there isn't but I doubt anyone can give you a guarantee. Use the boards for roofs or something.

I can remember some of the old boys soaking hive bodies in sump oil as a standard procedure and I'm sure there are still lots of very old creosote *soaked* hive bodies in use which no longer show any sign of the creosote -until you cut in to them to make a repair, then you smell the stuff.

Personally, in this day and age I'd think twice, it's not a matter of whether it affects the bees but so much as if there's the least chance of contaminant getting into the honey. I know almost everyone will say that there isn't but I doubt anyone can give you a guarantee. Use the boards for roofs or something.
A bit of engine oil is not going to cause any harm ...a scrub with some washing up liquid will clean it up or a go through the planer ...

A bit of engine oil is not going to cause any harm ...a scrub with some washing up liquid will clean it up or a go through the planer ...
The first part of my post pretty much covers the actual reality.

We all do as we see fit. Personally, going forward, I see no gain to myself or anyone else who sells honey by advising the use of such boards. So I don't.

The first part of my post pretty much covers the actual reality.

We all do as we see fit. Personally, going forward, I see no gain to myself or anyone else who sells honey by advising the use of such boards. So I don't.
But .. we are not talking about boards that have been soaked in old engine oil or creosote - they were shelving in a vehicle dismantlers - and the OP Said that once they had been run through the planer they came up new ...? I can't see what benefit there is in scaremongering about boards being soaked in creosote and people who preserved timber with a soaking in used sump oil.

Indeed, as JBM said - it was a practice years ago to creosote hives and there was no evidence that the bees or honey came to harm. I would not use creosote (or engine oil) on timber hives as there are better treatments but that is not what the OP was talking about.

But .. we are not talking about boards that have been soaked in old engine oil or creosote - they were shelving in a vehicle dismantlers - and the OP Said that once they had been run through the planer they came up new ...? I can't see what benefit there is in scaremongering about boards being soaked in creosote and people who preserved timber with a soaking in used sump oil.

Indeed, as JBM said - it was a practice years ago to creosote hives and there was no evidence that the bees or honey came to harm. I would not use creosote (or engine oil) on timber hives as there are better treatments but that is not what the OP was talking about.
Not sure it's scare mongering, simply that times have changed. We did lots of stuff before that perhaps wouldn't be a brilliant advert if repeated today.

As always, I take the view that everyone should do what's right for themselves but there's no point in asking a question if there's only one possible answer.

Not sure it's scare mongering, simply that times have changed. We did lots of stuff before that perhaps wouldn't be a brilliant advert if repeated today.

As always, I take the view that everyone should do what's right for themselves but there's no point in asking a question if there's only one possible answer.
I agree times have changed and seem destined to continue to change. Copper naphthenate was more popular in times past.

https://www.qualitybeekeepingsuppli...ation/item/430-copper-naphthenate-legislation
A look at some of the preservatives used in this old paper....

https://www.fpl.fs.usda.gov/documnts/pdf1984/kalni84a.pdf

No way should you consider spent engine oil for any reason !!!

Spent engine oil contains toxic levels of aliphatic hydrocarbons, PAHs (also found in the virgin oil), metals like aluminium, chromium, copper, iron, lead, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, silicon and tin, which end up in the spent engine oil as the engines undergo wear and tear.

Don't forget the Belgian carcinogen scandal either (dioxin & PCBs).
Cattle & chicken feed was contaminated with highly toxic engine oil accidentally mixed in with spent vegetable fat normally used in animal feed.
This was used across Europe and resulted in massive product recalls.

Dont see what all the fuss is about the boards were shelving not sitting in a vat of oil for years.I,ve used recycled wood for many projects from hives to chicken sheds, If the wood is that bad leave it out in the rain for a few weeks should leach most of the nasties out, it going to be used outside anyway.

They're still soaking hives in creosote in South Africa
In Norfolk, as well: walked into a farmyard to buy honey a few years ago and the place stank of creosote; while waiting for change I peered into the stack of boxes and saw that they'd creosoted both outside and inside.

In Norfolk, as well: walked into a farmyard to buy honey a few years ago and the place stank of creosote; while waiting for change I peered into the stack of boxes and saw that they'd creosoted both outside and inside.
when doing a bit of research for a Lesotho project I looked at a few yarpie beekeeping supplies websites, you could pick up a whole Langstroth hive package (deep box, 2 shallows, floor, roof and frames) for about 700 ZAR (about thirty quid) and you had the option for a few more Rand of having them delivered 'ready dipped' in creosote.

I regularly get "Wood Pallets" when I order Animal Feed. If I cross my Fingers, I sometimes get the heavy duty 'Blue' ones. They are fab for Placing Hive Bodies on. (Don't think they would Rot in any Scottish Borders downpour. (It Rains here !)
If I get the lovely newly made Pine like ones, (no Treatment) they are great for making Hives and DIY Frames. Even a Tool Store Caddy.
Able to have access to a Charity based Tool Shop / Shed. Where anything beyond a Hammer and a Nail can be 'Plained/Sanded/Dove Tailed into an inch of its life ! 🤭
Have made myself a copy of a (Copycat) of my '2nd Hand' Warre Hives. Made several brand new ones using Pallet Planks : Plained, Glued, Rebated. And Treated with Eco Wood Stain. Sales or Oops Tins (Mix Corner.)
Some are that faux Creosote 'Brown.' Others a lovely Deep 'Delph Blue'. Use what's 'Cheap'.
And also had Steel Sheet Roofs made from Off-Cuts from a Metal Fabrication Firm, near the Tool place.
Guess x2 Langstroth Hives (Brood & x3 Supers.) And x2 Warre Hives (x4 Box Each & DIY Frames) also with Roofs came to £100 ! Not bad considering the Stains came to £24. (x2 Bought / x2 Free ! Have more Brown & Blue in Tins to use.)

Find National Hives are always in Bee Supplier Hive "Sales." (Think the National is most used Hive in UK.) Less so re Langsthroths and Warre.
Any parts of broken Pallets are cut and used in Frame pieces etc.
The 'Sawdust' Spacer Blocks are fab in the Bee Smoker. . . Waste not, want not.
Just need a better Garden Shed to stash everthing. . .
Don't think I can make one with Pallets ! 🤭

heavy duty 'Blue' ones. They are fab for Placing Hive Bodies on. (Don't think they would Rot
Yes, they and the red version are the best, but they rot like any other after 3 or 4 years when in contact with the ground.

Either stack two and treat the bottom as sacrificial, or put one on blocks, and if you do that, make sure to have a central block to avoid sagging in summer when heavy.

Sawdust' Spacer Blocks are fab in the Bee Smoker. . .
Sure they're not treated to hold the sawdust together?

Back