Using a Burco Boiler for wax melting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnF

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I've got hold of an old Burco Boiler and read the post's about just putting all the wax in and melting.
I have an Aluminium cooking pot that fits in a treat and would rather use an indirect method of melting the wax as it may be easier to keep clean.

Is there any reason for not using Aluminium?

No. As long as it is only for use in melting wax. Other commodities could make a difference

There was a scare a feew years ago that aluminioum was a contributing factor in Altzheimer's so i'd be careful if the wax gets recycled into foundation - the bees might forget where the hive is - that'll b**ger up the three mile three feet rule :eek:

I've got hold of an old Burco Boiler and read the post's about just putting all the wax in and melting.
I have an Aluminium cooking pot that fits in a treat and would rather use an indirect method of melting the wax as it may be easier to keep clean.

Place large brick in old tights, add old wax, tie top firmly and stick in bottom of Burco. There are other ways but hard to describe). Turn on medium (somewhere other than the back kitchen although it does a great job of steam cleaning the cobwebs off the ceiling and walls...lol). Bring up to around 80˚C (reduce to low) and keep it there a while then turn off, allowing to cool slowly. You will get a cake of wax which you will be able to remove, scrape off the slumgum and use.

It's not hard to keep the system clean.

There was a scare a feew years ago that aluminioum was a contributing factor in Altzheimer's so i'd be careful if the wax gets recycled into foundation - the bees might forget where the hive is - that'll b**ger up the three mile three feet rule :eek:

Obviously the reason for CCD!

Keep the burco for tea and coffee (and syrup).

A slow cooker (a tenner or so from Argos) has a ceramic bowl tat can be removed for cleaning, and does the job just fine.

cant get much wax in a slow cooker though. I use a burco and it does work a treat you can also use it to clean up old frames.

Latest posts

Back