Upper Entrances

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole lynch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’ve noticed from a lot of YouTube videos that upper entrances into honey supers are quite common in the good ole US&A, but haven’t seen any UK Beeks using or recommending their use.
is it just a cultural thing or due to climate
Cheers

i use them when i run a two queen horizontal hive.

I’ve noticed from a lot of YouTube videos that upper entrances into honey supers are quite common in the good ole US&A, but haven’t seen any UK Beeks using or recommending their use.
is it just a cultural thing or due to climate
Cheers

A Portugese guy was selling kits at BeeTradex 2020. Drill a hole and insert plastic sleeve. He advised three holes in the BB and one or more in the supers. I only tried holes in two supers and was surprised to find that the bees hardly used them. Wasted money - but I'm a sucker for new gadgets...

Attachments

• IMG_0437 Upper entrance.jpg
    IMG_0437 Upper entrance.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
My tree box has an upper and lower entrance. In summer the bees use both. In winter they seal the bottom one.
I have a wild colony living in an old oak tree at one apiary - they have both upper and lower means of access.
In the winter, they favour the larger lower entrance and close off the top one! :icon_204-2:

I just bought couple medium lang poly boxes to use as an eke/super . Will be drilling a hole in them to let drones out caught above the QE.Hopefully it will help foragers deposit their load quicker too.

Latest posts

Back