Unwanted squatters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Some unknown birds (possibly blackbirds) have taken up residence in the roof space over our bedroom. Madame A is most insistent that they leave as she feels they are not a harmonious accompaniment to my snoring..

Any suggestions as how best to persuede them to go? The space is accessible via a stepladder, but no room to stand up in. Would throw the cat up there, but suspect that will end in disaster one way or the other, and ideally I'd like them to simply up twigs and find another site.

Noise perhaps? Light? Appreciate that we will probably need to find out where they are coming in as well to make sure they don't return.

Any tips gratefully received.

Make sure they're out and block up the exit/entrance,wherever that is.
Sounds like a nest could be in the making.

Unlikely to be blackbirds - they are not normally roof space nesters, more likely starling or house sparrow but quite early for them to be starting nesting. Is it definitely birds - mice, rats, squirrels are common roof space visitors....
I would think any sort of irregular disturbance like a loud radio or bright light switched on/off a few times a day would work (for birds) but probably easier to push a bit of wire net in the entrance hole(s).

Richard.

Hope they are not bats... illegal to evict... costs a fortune to have the wierdy beardies out from English Nature.. who will DECLARE YOUR HOUSE A BAT HAVEN AND EVICT YOU SO THEY CAN STUDY THEM!

( acquaintance having a bat problem at moment)

Unlikely to be blackbirds - they are not normally roof space nesters, more likely starling or house sparrow but quite early for them to be starting nesting. Is it definitely birds - mice, rats, squirrels are common roof space visitors....
I would think any sort of irregular disturbance like a loud radio or bright light switched on/off a few times a day would work (for birds) but probably easier to push a bit of wire net in the entrance hole(s).

Richard.

:iagree:

I would also do it soon because if they are Starlings. Which I think most likely in view of the fact something made you think Blackbirds and Starlings are dark birds about the same size.

Up here in the frozen north I have known some quite early Starling nests so I would go with the "make sure they are out find the hole and block it" thought.

Richard.

Thanks all. My suggestion of blackbirds was mainly due to the fact that we have one or two flying about outside the roof, but could easily be something else. I can hear something which sounds somewhat bird-like, definitely not mice. Rats and squirrels a poss though (not au fait with their sounds).

You may be aware my DIY skills are somewhat limited, anyone know of a battery operated sound/light machine with random turning on which I could leave up there for a few days?

Will definitely look to mesh up the holes, but would rather everyone was out before I did that

Stick a hive up there :)

Don't try to chase them out yourself, I've had starlings and jackdaws in the attic before and even with an open roof window they take ages to get out if you panic them. Better to wait them out then follow the "block the hole" advice above - try to find it from outside first though, might require an up-close inspection of the eaves and facia (sp?) board.

Last edited:
You may be aware my DIY skills are somewhat limited, anyone know of a battery operated sound/light machine with random turning on which I could leave up there for a few days?

p.s. try a toyshop - something cheap, noisy and motion-sensitive should do the trick nicely, especially from the babies/toddlers section (those early-learning style toys are big on sound & light stimulus).

Block the holes they're accessing.
The only deterrant the birds will not eventually ignore is an agricultural bird scarer; think about how unsuccessful gardeners are, trying to keep the birds off soft fruit etc - nothing works for long, they get used to it.

sorry to say, but you need to get out the ladders!!
get the birds out ( they'll probably be starlings, and should leave as you climb the ladder) then block the entrance.
don't leave it too long, or they'll have eggs, and I think it's illegal to disturb any nesting birds.

Having just listened to some squirrel sounds on youtube http://youtu.be/BdPREjLtCTs
I'm wondering if its one of them. If so, what should my alternative strategy be - does it come down to poison? (sorry, but any live and let live sentiments will not get past the missus):smash:

Having just listened to some squirrel sounds on youtube http://youtu.be/BdPREjLtCTs
I'm wondering if its one of them. If so, what should my alternative strategy be - does it come down to poison? (sorry, but any live and let live sentiments will not get past the missus):smash:

My worry about poison would be it snuffing it up there in an inaccessible place and then starting to smell.

Some unknown birds (possibly blackbirds) have taken up residence in the roof space over our bedroom. Madame A is most insistent that they leave as she feels they are not a harmonious accompaniment to my snoring..

It could also be mice,bats or rats if making a noise at night while your snoring,don't think birds would be making much noise in the night.

True the significance of snoring hadn't entered my consciousness.

Have glis glis reached Grantham yet? They are very noisy in their active months which tend to be from about Late february until about September. They have spread out from Tring where they were first released by Rothschild.

Have glis glis reached Grantham yet? They are very noisy in their active months which tend to be from about Late february until about September. They have spread out from Tring where they were first released by Rothschild.

The thought had occurred to me but I could find no reference to them having reached there.

It could also be mice,bats or rats if making a noise at night while your snoring,don't think birds would be making much noise in the night.

Should probably add that we had mice in there a month or two back and there is still some quite potent poison up there, don't know if glis glis would find it attractive though.

I will need to check with Madame A as to whether I was snoring during daybreak, or if this was a 3 o'clock special

Latest posts

Back