unusual request

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d23

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

I’ve joined not as a bee keeper (altho I’ve previously considered giving it a go) but as a burgeoning artist with a slightly unusual request

I’m working on a project that requires approx 1000 to 2000 deceased bee’s. I’ve racked my brains and not been able to think of a better place than here to make this request.

I understand I’d probably be profiting off of someone’s loss as I imagine (with my very limited knowledge of the art of bee keeping) the only way to come by that many dead bee’s would through a bee keeper’s misfortune; I hope some money (not a massive sum as I’m not Damian Hirst(!!!) but hopefully enough to cove the time and effort required) and the fact they would eventually end up as a (hopefully) much appreciated artwork in someone’s home would be some consolation.

Can’t go into too much detail as to the exact nature of the piece just yet but I’d keep the donor in the loop as the piece progressed.

Please feel free to PM me if you need any more info, and apologies for intruding into your forum(!!).

I don't have any dead bees, but I have a feeling a lot of replies are going to request a more precise location :)

Spread of disease

Sorry to put a downer on your request.

If a substantial number of my bees upped and died I would want them inspected and then destroyed to prevent the problem being shipped elsewhere and multiplied across the country!

Shouldn't any responsible beekeeper expect to do the same?:toetap05:

Everyone would agree with you on that score MartinL, I think this request though innocent enough, is a non starter.
As you say, possible disease prevents the use of sudden mortalities and the only other way would be to cause sudden mortalities. I don't even like freezing some in matchboxes for tests.

I would presume the best way to collect a large number of bees at once would be to collect a colony of bees that has collapsed due to starvation.

It does not happen often, but does happen.

Should be plenty of dead bees around in the winter;). Could collect the natural die of and send them but I doubt they'd be too pretty

Should be plenty of dead bees around in the winter;). Could collect the natural die of and send them but I doubt they'd be too pretty

:iagree:

They don't look to good if you have misfortune of a colonie dying in the winter months

Bees that die in the winter go black and don't look like bees, I think what you will need are bee looking like bees. Once dead they don't look good. You could always go the Ay Wey Wey route and paint 2000 bees on beans!! Or would that be to much work. An idea is not always a work of art, sometimes it's just an idea.
I hope you produce a masterpiece.
Good luck.

I bet he's really pleased to have asked the question, lol. (What about Weald Farm? Should bee plenty there soon)

Latest posts

Back