Unknown plant bulb/corn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Was having a tidy up at work. Found these corns/ bulbs. No label or anything remotely helpful. Had wondered if they were three year old gladioli corns. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 28000F66-80F5-49FE-B6D7-255636A7BA79.jpeg
    28000F66-80F5-49FE-B6D7-255636A7BA79.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
They're not artichokes, the closest I can think of is freesia.
They are definitely corms, the shape looks the same as freesia @E&MBees how big are they?.
Freesia corms I've seen have been light in colour almost white and no bigger than 2" long... That's not to say they aren't a darker colour (flower).
I don't think there gladioli or artichokes.

Last edited:
They are definitely corms, the shape looks the same as freesia @E&MBees how big are they?.
Freesia bulbs I've seen have been light in colour almost white and no bigger than 2" long... That's not to say they aren't a darker colour (flower).
I don't think there gladioli or artichokes.
They are probably about 3inches long

I don't know Emily freesia have little cormlets growing of the sides they have a ridge segments..
The skin doesn't look the same..
Interesting to see what they are they are shooting, are you going to pot them up?

I don't know Emily freesia have little cormlets growing of the sides they have a ridge segments..
The skin doesn't look the same..
Interesting to see what they are they are shooting, are you going to pot them up?
Thanks Mark. Yes, I’ll definitely pot them up. I love growing new things and I’m always rescuing half dead plants too! Do you reckon twice the depth, or just at the surface like Amaryllis?

Corms 2" + 6" all depending on size and when growing earth up around the stem.

Edit: they are 3" so i would plant 3" down and earth up.. Maybe use some horticultural grit for the corm to sit on.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. Yes, I’ll definitely pot them up. I love growing new things and I’m always rescuing half dead plants too! Do you reckon twice the depth, or just at the surface like Amaryllis?
Ditto I'm always taking plants home from sites we are clearing when starting a project.

If you look they are starting to separate even more so with the first one like crocosmia.. If the weather was better I would go and dig some montbretia up out of the garden to compare but it's - 3 with snow on the ground out side..

Crocosmia I dig up almost every year (very hard to get rid of) look more like separate entities threaded on a string.

Hi i don't think they are crocosmia as they form 'chains' of round bulbs connected to each other. Don't think they are freesia either. I think they are a particular type of gladioli, a dwarf type called Gladioli nanus and are corms rather than bulbs. The corms are like the ones in your photo and a different shape to the large flowered gladioli varieties, which are round and flatter in shape. Here's a link to what the flowers look like, perhaps you can confirm in the summer when they have grown!
https://www.dutchbulbs.co.uk/?search=nanus&pp=9999

Last edited:
Hi i don't think they are crocosmia as they form 'chains' of round bulbs connected to each other. Don't think they are freesia either. I think they are a particular type of gladioli, a dwarf type called Gladioli nanus and are corms rather than bulbs. The corms are like the ones in your photo and a different shape to the large flowered gladioli varieties, which are round and flatter in shape. Here's a link to what the flowers look like, perhaps you can confirm in the summer when they have grown!
https://www.dutchbulbs.co.uk/?search=nanus&pp=9999
Thanks Elaine. I’ll pot them up and try and remember to post the results!

Latest posts

Back