Uniting & Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi
Been looking through the search facility at "Uniting" without success, the one colony i have with the elusive virgin, i want to unite with a queenless colony i split from them back in april.

The colony with the virgin in has two supers on top, now do i place the queenless colony i wish to unite, on top of the supers with newspaper between, or take off the supers and put one brood on top of the other, leaving the supers off.

Asking as i would like to get it right.

Oh, slight twist to this one, the colony with the virgin is in a jumbo Lang, and the queenless colony is in a std, i would like to get all the bees into the Std brood box.

Cut a piece of board, say plywood to cover the larger unit and in that cut a hole so that the bees can get through. Keep it handy as likely you will need it again.

I would put your queenless lot above as you don't want your virgin to lose any chance of mating.

Two sheets of newspaper with a few holes pricked by the corner of the hive tool and thats it.

PH

Last edited:
so queenless brood, above the supers ?

OK
On top of the supers it is then, will do that early tomorrow.
When they have merged i will then place the std brood on top of the jumbo, use the board as per Poly h mentioned.

Poly, what is the significance of a board with a hole in, i guess i could use a crown board between the two. Would like to know ?

Latest posts

Back