Uniting question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monarda

House Bee
Reaction score
What would be my best plan for uniting a caught caste swarm with a good laying queen up and running and now housed in standard brood box with a hive close by . This hive is queenless as result of artificial swarm but has 3 capped q.c's (I pinched out a further dozen yesterday) and consists of brood and a half with 3 supers on top(1 in process of being capped,1 full of nectar and 1 of drawn comb but mostly empty). I wish to keep the swarm queen as head of the new colony created. Ideas anyone?
Cheers-Dave

Last edited:
Break the cells down and unite via paper? Put an excluder and paper on top of the queenless hive and put your swarm on top.

Break the cells down and unite via paper? Put an excluder and paper on top of the queenless hive and put your swarm on top.
Hi Steve, so I dont have to think about removing supers first?

No,just unite on top of the supers (newspaper, QX, top box)

If it had a laying queen, it was no cast.
Right thats the plan-it was a caste with virgin queen when I originally caught it but then mated ( saw it return with tag) and now well and truly established.Sorry JBM I didnt make that clear in my om. Just had another thought , if in taking down q.c's I miss one what would happen when united and do I need to worry about ventilation in the top brood box Im adding?
Dave

If you miss one you could lose your laying queen to either a swarm or the virgin queen.
In your quest to break them down, be thorough and shake the bees off every frame.

Latest posts

Back