Uniting problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hasbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, I have had one of my hives that have had some queen issues, over the past two months there thave been no eggs no grubs and no more sightings of a queen. I did two test frames and no queen cells were made, up until last week there were still no eggs etc. I united the colony with my next smallest one, neswpaper held with a queen excluder. Today (6 days later) I checked the hive, all paper had gone, I was intending to remove the QX but checked the added top brood box only to find some very small grubs on two frames! there maybe eggs but not sure will look with a magnifiying glass next visit. Any ideas whats happened or what to do next please?

What’s happened is that you likely have a queen in the top box. Your two test frames pointed to that.
What’s done is done now.
Take out the QX and re organise the frames in a week.
Just hope that the right queen has survived.
You may of course have laying workers. In which case the outlook is probably better

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer, I had expected to find a queen after the test frames and had some other bee keepers look as well, the colony was getting smaller and smaller and that is why I united, just seems odd that after uniting, the eggs and larvae have appeared, could the queen below get through the QX ?cant recall how big she is. Been through the frames again and still cant see a queen, there are eggs, one in each cell on their sides. I am usually quite good at seeing a queen.....maybey not this time!

Latest posts

Back