Unidentified bees in my garden!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakeaman65

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,

I have recently had some bees move into a pile of rubble/earth at the bottom of my garden! I was wondering if anyone could identify them and maybe give me some advice about how I can deal with them since I need to get rid of the pile of rubble (leftovers from a building project!).

Thanks

Chris

Hi snakeaman65,

I think you will find they are bumble bees, what common name I do not know.

You say you moved rubble and did you find a nest?

If you can please try to save them and move the nest to another deserted spot in your garden. They will not sting unless provoked. Like honeybees they are becoming a rarity.

if you look closely at the bees abdomen you will notice that they differ to the honey bee tergites.

I would love to save them but I am unsure as to how to move the nest, as it is in the middle of of the rubble/soil. I have seen lots of them coming and going from holes in the pile, I guess they have built the nest within! Also, wouldn't attempting to move the nest count as provoking them?

Yeah, how do I get them to stay still for photographs!! I tried asking nicely but it didn't seem to work! I'll try and get a better one tomorrow!

I'm not convinced. the link says that they are solitary and live in reeds/wood. I have seen lots of bees going into the same couple of holes and its inside a pile of mud/rubble. I'll get some better pictures tomorrow.

At this time of year bees that are classified solitary will begin to rear brood.
In the wording 'solitary' it means that they (the mentioned bees) do not become eusocial.
Once they become 'of age' they will leave the nest site and become solitary bees.

Yours;

Hope these pictures help more in identifying these bees!

Chris

Yes, they look spot on! So how do I go about moving them. If I start digging the earth will they become agressive? Is there any way to get them to move naturally (maybe by providing a more attractive nesting site nearby?)

Thanks

Chris

The Red Mason Bee is not at all aggressive.
The male does not have a sting, a female will sting only if very roughly handled between the fingers and even then, the sting is a puny thing compared to a wasp or honeybee.
It should be quite safe for you to move them.
But how you do that??? I don't know.

Can't you leave the rubble till the end of the season when they have finished? I would and would consider myself lucky if I had such guests. They are not going to stay after they have finished rearing young. If you try to move them then you are bound to destroy the nest.

Latest posts

Back