Unexpected Drone cells...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanterrier

House Bee From SW Northumberland
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made a split on 3rd June leaving Hive1 Q-. I left a nice capped QC in Hive1 and have been feeding them 1:1 syrup as there was no stores then. I checked a few days later and thete were no more QC's. I inspected all frames for the first time today and found lots of syrup, some pollen but no eggs and no sign of a Q :(
On one frame only there were a few small and empty cups and to my main question, there were a few capped Drone cells. One emerged as I watched.
So, what do I have?
Drone Laying Q?
Drone laying Workers? (No signs of workers eggs anywhere)
And what do I do now?
There's still a chance a Q is in there not yet laying.
Bees are all calm and there's plenty of them, all frames covered.
K :(

I would chuck that frame.
It's not that bad ... cut a few of the lumps and bumps off it ... another year or two in it ...I've got worse in some of my hives. Drawn brood frames are a very valuable resource ...

Frames like that I cut back to a 1" top strip and place it between a pair of nice worker frames, with a good flow it will be nice pristine comb in lttle time. A swarm is best to draw them nice.
Liking that idea. I’ve got a few frames that look like the surface of the moon with some very creative comb.

Liking that idea. I’ve got a few frames that look like the surface of the moon with some very creative comb.
Once they have drawn out new comb on the old strip I suppose you could cut out the old bit and let them replace it.
Voila! - Trigger's comb! 😁

Latest posts

Back