UK WRC advice problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvySalli

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We just went to buy some UK WRC, FSC certified, where the timber yard advised against UK wood for hivesj because although kiln dried once it's on the hive the knots will shrink at different rate to the plank. Also that wasps and beetles would chew through it.

Apparently Mark at National Bee Supplies agrees with this.

Anyone experienced this?

When Mann-Lake were in town I bought some WRC brood boxes from them. Well, more accurately there were patches of Red Cedar between the knots of which there was an elegant sufficiency. So, I knifed D4 glue into the loose knots, and smeared D4 glue over the tighter knots - and then painted the boxes.

The only chewing I've seen is on the inside, from the bees themselves - as the wood is very light and easily chewed. I've stopped using WRC for that very reason. Only pine and pallet wood from now on ...
LJ

Google a local timber mill and buy green and build from this.

Doesn't green take months until it's ready? I would like this up and ready by end of April. There seem to be quite a few stories of people building with knotty UK WRC,and no problems, so I think we'll just go ahead. Thank you.

Doesn't green take months until it's ready? I would like this up and ready by end of April. There seem to be quite a few stories of people building with knotty UK WRC,and no problems, so I think we'll just go ahead. Thank you.
You are not so Savvy Are you Salli.. :spy:

There seem to be quite a few stories of people building with knotty UK WRC,and no problems, so I think we'll just go ahead. Thank you.

There is no problem with the knots as long as they are live knots, but you could also use clear cedar, no knots.
Best to only use the heartwood as the sapwood is not durable.

OK have a look at this one. You can see what the cedar looks like.
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34595&highlight=Cedar

That looks really good quality. Here's what Mann-Lake were supplying:

2njlptx.jpg

Knots in the planks haven't caused problems (thanks to D4 glue), but knots in the rails caused them to bent and twist.
To be fair, M/L's prices were rock-bottom, so I guess it's simply a case of getting what you pay for. If you buy cheap, you get cheap. And - if you take into account the extra construction time required to sort out the distorted timber - it ain't actually that cheap after all ...
LJ

OK have a look at this one. You can see what the cedar looks like.
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34595&highlight=Cedar

Thanks for that, very interesting.

If the wood's outside at the mill are we going to have to dry it for months too? We have the space, just that it puts my plans back a few months!

I had a photo of the brood box I've just put together, and the frames inside. Now I look, there are plenty of knots, and some of the top bars have them as well. Can't upload it though.

I've had no problems with UK WRC. Larger trees have no or very few knots in the heartwood....and even with knots, I've had none drying out, rattling free etc. UK WRC doesn't smell the same as Canadian sourced, and the grain is not as tight, but other than cosmetics, it is fine. I'm much happier using wood which has travelled 15 miles to me, rather than stuff dragged half way across the world!

Here is a pic of a 14x12 box made from a small tree - plenty of knots, but should last a very long time. I'm a bit lazy with the top and bottom fillets....can't be doing with the pokey-out bits. Glue works very nicely!

Also a pic of some more sticks....two smaller, two good sized....the larger ones will have plenty of pretty knot free wood, not that it really matters!

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpg
    IMG_3008.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back