Turning my hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widget

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I have 2 hives in my garden since I carried out a split. My mentor advised me to turn the parent hive so that the entrances of the hives were not facing the same way. The hives are over 3 ft apart.

It would make inspections easier if I could turn the parent hive back the way it was which means a turn of 90 degrees.

Am I right in thinking that I should do this is in small increments? Would completing the turn over about a week be ok?

You could just turn them and be done in 1 go however you will get a few milling about so in you garden not a good idea. I would suggest 1 or 2 moves even just a day apart would do, they’ll often land and wonder around till they eventually find the right side.

I have no choice. But to place them side by side about 1.5 feet apart from one another. But I intend to put a partition between the 2 hives. Is that OK as well?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Some people paint simple patterns on their hives and landing boards to help the bees identify their hive. There was some discussion about it on here a while ago.

Mine are all facing the same direction with barely 18 inches between them. No problem!
E

Yes, we make stands with gaps between the hives to make inspecting easier and somehow those gaps disappear! :D

Yes it's amazing how the stands seem to get shorter as the season goes on! :hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

Latest posts

Back