Trying to save a bumblebee that cannot fly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skwishee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone, so I'm new to the forums,

I hope this is posting in the right place... I have recently found myself intrigued with bumblebee's I found one recently on my kitchen floor and took it to a safe, warm place until it was able to fly.

This evening while out I saw a bumblebee, I originally thought it was dead and had gone to pick it up to take home to draw, but when I got closer I realised it was alive. The poor thing was being blown about by the wind, it's wings sticking out, so I scooped it up and walked home with it.

The poor thing is not in good shape at all, it's wings seem to be intact, but are still stuck out.
I had put it in a jar and gave it some honey/water mixed together, but in my bid to get it to drink, it's tongue is extended out and by gently nudging it's tongue towards the honey/water, it was so curled I became worried the bee was getting the mixture on to itself from fidgeting around, so I have moved it to a clean jar, and put a little bit of the honey/water mixture near it, however it's fidgeted itself away from the mixture.... so far the little bee hasn't been able to stand up properly he's been leaning on one side against the jar. Still in a somewhat curled position with his tongue still poking out.

I have little bee under a lamp currently, the jar is loosely covered with cling film (and a few holes) as I intended to take him to the park tomorrow if he gets better.... Is there anything more I can do at this point?

Last edited:
Wrong forum. Honey bees, not bumbles.

However if this bee is a 'he bee' he may well be past his 'use by' date if all the queens have already been mated. If a 'she bee', she may well be redundant and now effectively homeless.

A lost cause, I'm afraid - likely the end of the line for the rest of the colony apart from the young queens; it happens every year.

I suggest you get a book on the life cycle of the bumble bee and read it. One with the several local bumble species might be a good insight as to when the colony is likely to break down in an average season and help you to reconnize the different members of the family.

RAB

Ah my mistake!

Thank you for the information, I was wondering if it was coming up to that time of year at least Little bee will die somewhere safe and warm, rather than being blown about in the wind and in the cold.... Thanks, little bee is currently sort of hunched over, hasn't been able to stand properly since I found it, occasionally wiggles it's bum, but has stopped moving it's legs now.

I will have a look for a book on Saturday, when I can go to the library are there any particular ones that you could recommend?

Ah thank you! I was just on that website trying to identify what bee it was I had found... I believe it's an ordinary garden one... May I ask a possibly stupid question, but what is the difference between honey and bumble bees?

I can't recommend any books, but you might find something useful on the Bumblebee Trust website.

Good luck.

Ah thank you! I was just on that website trying to identify what bee it was I had found... I believe it's an ordinary garden one... May I ask a possibly stupid question, but what is the difference between honey and bumble bees?

Bumblebees have a lifecycle like wasps, ie the mated queens hibernate, then found a new colony in the spring, culminating in the raising of new queens.

Honeybees, by laying down stores, have found a way for the colony to overwinter and a colony can go on for years, continuously replacing workers, and probably replacing the queen every 2 or 3 years.

Thank you Skyhook and thank you everyone, I really appreciate the advice even when asking in the wrong place! (I was in a bit of a rush to find out what I could do).

Little bee is barely moving now, so I think his time is near, at least he is somewhere safe and warm and not being blown about by that wind! Also there are two or three little critters (I assume mites) crawling around on him, should I put them outside somewhere?

Hi,
The most important thing I would be concerned about it giving it honey.
DON'T GIVE BEES SHOP HONEY!!!! It can spread diseases from abroad.
Most beekeepers wouldn't even feed their bees another beekeepers honey.

Thank you Skyhook and thank you everyone, I really appreciate the advice even when asking in the wrong place! (I was in a bit of a rush to find out what I could do).

Little bee is barely moving now, so I think his time is near, at least he is somewhere safe and warm and not being blown about by that wind! Also there are two or three little critters (I assume mites) crawling around on him, should I put them outside somewhere?

Natural wastage among most invertebrates is about 99%. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Well thanks Lebouche, I did not know that! For future reference would a sugar/water mixture be better?

Will leave the mites then, thanks Skyhook.

Little Bee has passed now sadly :(
But I feel like I've learnt things, thank you everyone :)
I am thinking of perhaps doing some bumblebee drawings and collecting information to go alongside with them, perhaps somehow I could raise awareness about the issues with bee's today.

Last edited:
Well thanks Lebouche, I did not know that! For future reference would a sugar/water mixture be better?

I am thinking of perhaps doing some bumblebee drawings and collecting information to go alongside with them, perhaps somehow I could raise awareness about the issues with bee's today.

The most important thing is understanding how wild creatures depend on their habitats. Read up websites like bumblebee conservation and buglife, but other conversation sites like RSPB also have useful information. The more you learn, the more you'll find the best ways to help.

Enjoy finding out! :)

Natural wastage among most invertebrates is about 99%. Personally, I wouldn't bother

And there was I thinking that natural wastage of all organisms was 100%!

Please explain how only 99% die. Or maybe flies hitting the windscreen is not natural? A bit like saying you can save 15% of your household heating and then finding the house still loses 100% of the heat input!

Yes, sugar water would be fine. Only white sugar and nothing caramelised as burnt sugar makes them ill too!
I've done it myself for the odd bee.

Natural wastage among most invertebrates is about 99%. Personally, I wouldn't bother

And there was I thinking that natural wastage of all organisms was 100%!

Please explain how only 99% die. Or maybe flies hitting the windscreen is not natural? A bit like saying you can save 15% of your household heating and then finding the house still loses 100% of the heat input!

Oh, you! :nono:

By natural wastage I meant before reproducing. In spite of the best efforts of the medical profession, mortality levels are of course still at 100% in all species.

Oh, you! :nono:

mortality levels are of course still at 100% in all species.

Prove it!

Statistically impossible, I would imagine.

And what about the amoeba? (Excuse spelling if wrong.)
How would one define the individual, to be able to determine it had died?

Dusty

Just thought I'd share this here, a drawing of Little Bee :)

933995_10153139730135144_1886591482_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back