Tree identification please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Not a n ideal pic but will get some more if not good enough have tonnes of these coming into bud next to my house

Attachments

• IMAG0816.jpg
    IMAG0816.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 106
  • IMAG0815.jpg
    IMAG0815.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
loads of differnt types of trees there - but if you mean the squatter ones to the right at the forefront of the picture with a 'bushy' spread near the base then goat/crack willows with catkins creeping towards opening and yes,very good

yes the ones at the front thank you. That sounds promising then might have some early supers perhaps, this is the first spring here as I got 1st nuc last may around the 5th cheers :thanks:

Looks like a wooden one to me?

:smilielol5:

All the ones with catkins (esp Hazel) give me hay-fever, Itchy & Watery eyes / sneezing starting @ this time of year!
Only started after I'd been keeping bees for a couple of years. Had it for about 6 years now.

I don't get it any other time of year! How did that happen? :hat:

Last edited:
yes the ones at the front thank you. That sounds promising then might have some early supers perhaps, this is the first spring here as I got 1st nuc last may around the 5th cheers :thanks:

Doubt they'll need supers for that - willow has loads of pollen , great for boosting brood rearing and getting your bees ready for a (hopefully) early spring flow

Last edited:
One season in my spring honey was a lot of goat willow honey among other spring flowers. Building combs also in that time.
In that time around and in a hives was strong smell of willows.
Also it gives as said a lot of pollen and if weather behave they bring couple frames of pollen.

I thought willow produced nectar too

it does, but there's little hope of bees building up quickly and strongly enough to produce much of a surplus - unless of course the weather is spot on and there's loads of willow around (bit of a chance in two of my apiaries then :D)

Noy great pics but as i see it likely too be a plantation of spruce (in background) just in front to foreground are silver birch (betula pendula) commonly a pioneeriing tree and nitrogen fixer. Often planted with oak as a nurse tree. I also see an Ash (fraxinus excelcior) Small trees on right on fringe likely too be Hazel (coryleanus avcelina). hope this helps

Noy great pics but as i see it likely too be a plantation of spruce (in background) just in front to foreground are silver birch (betula pendula) commonly a pioneeriing tree and nitrogen fixer. Often planted with oak as a nurse tree. I also see an Ash (fraxinus excelcior) Small trees on right on fringe likely too be Hazel (coryleanus avcelina). hope this helps
How can you pick a Ash tree out from that picture, have you got some kind of super hero eye sight.. :D

Latest posts

Back