Treatment when no varroa evident?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had varroa board in for 5 days and no evidence of varroa despite close inspection of boards with magnifying glass. Should I treat nonetheless?

Had varroa board in for 5 days and no evidence of varroa despite close inspection of boards with magnifying glass. Should I treat nonetheless?

Yorkshire is NOT a varroa free area.
So your bees will have varroa.

You could put on an apilife-var and see if any varroa drop then

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Inspection board drop is meaningless unless you have lots. Sugar roll or better still an alcohol wash will give you a much better idea

Inspection board drop is meaningless unless you have lots. Sugar roll or better still an alcohol wash will give you a much better idea

+ 1 ....and as a non-treater my view is, if there are low levels of varroa and the bees are not showing any signs of the effects of varroa then - why treat ?

Never say never but I can't see the need to just treat your bees for the sake of it ...

I know I'm in the minority but there are more and more beekeepers refraining from treatment and their bees are not dying - despite what some people would have you believe.

+1

The sugar roll is so easy that there's no excuse for not doing it. It gives an accurate count and you can make decisions confidently based on its results, rather than the guesswork associated with messing with the inspection board. The alcohol wash is ever so slightly more accurate, but it kills the bees.

+ 1 ....and as a non-treater my view is, if there are low levels of varroa and the bees are not showing any signs of the effects of varroa then - why treat ?

Never say never but I can't see the need to just treat your bees for the sake of it ...

I know I'm in the minority but there are more and more beekeepers refraining from treatment and their bees are not dying - despite what some people would have you believe.

:iagree: I'm in the minority with you.

IT does not help, if you let the mite population to grow bigger, and then start to kill then. A bad strategy.

If you have 100 mites and 20% is alive after treatment, it is 20

If you have 1000 mites, 20% is 200.

4 hives, and no mites. That is strange.

IT does not help, if you let the mite population to grow bigger, and then start to kill then. A bad strategy.

If you have 100 mites and 20% is alive after treatment, it is 20

If you have 1000 mites, 20% is 200.

4 hives, and no mites. That is strange.

No, it's no mites counted!

+1

The sugar roll is so easy that there's no excuse for not doing it. It gives an accurate count and you can make decisions confidently based on its results, rather than the guesswork associated with messing with the inspection board. The alcohol wash is ever so slightly more accurate, but it kills the bees.

After having a Visit from the Veterinary Meds directorate, to do a test on my honey, and discussions with them about what and what is not classed a treatment, please make sure that if you do these, make sure you fill out the documentation found on Beebase for treatments added as they are treatments and records must be kept about them for 5 years.

The prophylactic treating with a miticide is an article of faith, and not to treat is an act of heresy, punishable by have you matchsticks struck and then broken in front of the assembled parade of beekeepers :)

Derek a minority within a minority

If there are no varroa mites in your colonies then there is no point in treating them for such.

After having a Visit from the Veterinary Meds directorate, to do a test on my honey, and discussions with them about what and what is not classed a treatment, please make sure that if you do these, make sure you fill out the documentation found on Beebase for treatments added as they are treatments and records must be kept about them for 5 years.

Interesting. Is this unusual? Are you a large scale seller?

Beauracracy rules unchained :(

Interesting. Is this unusual? Are you a large scale seller?

Nope. its done by a pin in the map I believe. decided by the SBI and RBI who gets tested but for some reason I was chosen to have the VMD with her when the test was done.

Felt a bit like I was being asked questions that if I had given incorrect answers I would get prosecuted by them. It was not a nice experience that was at the end of a really bad season with disease, colony losses and poor crop.

Totally agree. But they have to prove they are wasting the money the EU has given them to the fullest.

It's possible that BREXIT will have a useful effect if it restricts the spread of officiadom. Apart from the queen any bees that are treated will be long dead (a number of generations) before the record keeping expires.

Latest posts

Back