Treating a new swarm with Apiguard?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t read all the thread, but dumb advice from the ‘local chap’.

There is more to consider than just blindly treating any colony.

Temperature, size of colony and box, Prime or cast? Queen laying or not. All things to consider. Beekeeping is about thinking before acting.

Be aware that the strips are not a recognised, licenced treatment for varroa, the same with OA crystals.
I would certainly put four of the strips in but I think I'd keep the apibioxal for later. The strips are effective, they were the only treatment my bees received last year.

Ok thanks, I’ll do as you suggest and use four strips.

Why do I need to be aware that they are not a licensed treatment? Is there some kind of legal standpoint/obligation? I thought this was just about improving the health of the bees...

\'?|";l\
|
Ok thanks, I’ll do as you suggest and use four strips.

Why do I need to be aware that they are not a licensed treatment? Is there some kind of legal standpoint/obligation? I thought this was just about improving the health of the bees...
You could start here
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/oxalic-acid.49296/
And here

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/illegal-vaping-and-new-laws.49009/
And finally

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/abelo-oxalic-acid-strips.45594/

Last edited:
Haven’t read all the thread, but dumb advice from the ‘local chap’.

There is more to consider than just blindly treating any colony.

Temperature, size of colony and box, Prime or cast? Queen laying or not. All things to consider. Beekeeping is about thinking before acting.
There's a lot of dumb advice given to new keepers RAB. The phrases that ring loud alarm bells are the aforementioned "local chap", plus "experienced beekeeper", " Senior beekeeper" and a few more. Very rarely do we see Competent amongst the descriptions never mind the results

Seems to me that you're all a little trigger happy re the need to treat.
Been away for a while but nice to see nothing much has changed...hi all.

Is there a good argument for not treating?

Seems to me that you're all a little trigger happy re the need to treat.
Been away for a while but nice to see a nothing much has changed...hi all.
Hi Cazza welcome home 😉
OP is a beginner. He can mess about with measuring mite level when he has a season under his belt do you not think?

No.

Some bees seem to do well without treatment but colony death by year 4 - often in winter by a small nest of unfit compromised bees - is common.

Brood breaks during those 4 years -swarming, splitting - will give an impression that they're resistant, but at your stage of the game I suggest you stick to routine treatment and enjoy routine healthy bees.

One of our beekeepers chose not to treat from the start: last year (and not for the first time) he lost all seven; he was in tears, and will treat from now on.

Some propose that resistance by Apis mellifera to varroa and its effects could develop naturally in time, but most of us don't have 395 years to wait.

Different story with Apis ceranae, which evolved with varroa for aeons and developed tactics to reduce the threat of disease.

Some bees seem to do well without treatment but colony death by year 4 - often in winter by a small nest of unfit compromised bees - is common.
Although someone on here explained that away by claiming that four to five years was the 'natural' lifespan of a healthy colony :icon_204-2: :rolleyes:

There's no argument for not treating, it's the timing that I'm not in agreement with.
You'll all do whatever you like, whatever I say but I'd let them build up and see how Queenie lays before I blasted them with anything.
No problem counting your varroa load and treating in August.

Thank you EHB for the welcome back. Xc

Although someone on here explained that away by claiming that four to five years was the 'natural' lifespan of a healthy colony :icon_204-2: :rolleyes:

After one year I would already be hard-pressed to say which of my colonies is the original one; I know which has the original queen, but it has has so much of it's colony hived off in portions by me and by a (retained) swarm, that in four to five years' time, even if supercedure didn't take place, it's going to be like Trigger's broom. ;) So, will it be the same colony? Not having been treated, I guess it will be if it expires. ;)

There's no argument for not treating, it's the timing that I'm not in agreement with.

Hello Cazza. Some more common sense demonstrated by an old(er) hand. Welcome back.

RAB

Hello Cazza. Some more common sense demonstrated by an old(er) hand. Welcome back.

RAB
Cheers Rab. Good to be back.
My thinking is, I've just moved house, struggling to build it and start my family and someone sticks chemicals in it that makes the struggle even harder. Might put me off laying and I really need to get on with that.

Latest posts

Back