Transformer for embedder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayz_x

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have seen a couple of threads about making an electric embedder but nothing clear about the transformer.
An American site advised a 12V 2Amp transformer as this is what is put in the 'Kelley' embedders.

Can this be AC or must it be DC?

I have found two online if I can put in links - one is a power supply on Amazon and the other a bare 12V 2A transformer at Maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-2a-chassis-transformer-n57jb

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brightsky-Regulated-Switching-Transformer-Adaptor/dp/B00EALMBDE/ref=sr_1_24?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1398340442&sr=1-24&keywords=2a+transformer"]Brightsky Dc 12v 2a Regulated Switching 24w Supply Transformer/power Adaptor/driver for LED Strip Cctv Display: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

I have read that modern car battery chargers won't do the job as they detect the circuit as a 'short' and cut out.

Any suggestions welcome

By the way - I know I am playing with electricity and if I die it's my own bl**dy stupid fault.

Ray

A transformer is always AC. You cannot transform DC - you need an inverter for that, normally.

Never heard of anyone being electrocuted by a car battery yet. Burned, yes.

Ideally you need a heavy duty potentiometer unless all parts are carefully selected. You can then choose/adjust the voltage to a value which suits your conductor resistance.

rays_z, A transformer steps up or steps down AC voltage by using magnetic properties, mutual inductance to be exact. Since this cannot happen when current isn’t changing its direction, therefore there can never be a transformer for DC voltage conversion. There are several other methods of voltage conversion for DC voltages, such as use of an op-amp or by simple voltage divider.

I wouldn't get hung up on whether you use ac or dc for your embedder - a sufficient voltage (12-24V) with enough current ouput (2-4A) will simply heat a wire when applied.
You are right, a car battery charger can go into current limit and insufficiently heat the wire.
A 24V volt battery charger usually has the ooomph.
I use a 24V secondary mains transformer - 30VA - will give enough current to heat wire on a brood frame sufficiently in about 20 seconds. A super in about 10sec
No control electronics is required as the transformer is just the right rating to cope with the (temporary) short circuit with no damage.

I use a 12v car battery charger.

I use a battery charger, too. Mine has a 6v setting...our batteries used to be 6v. 12v heats too quickly for me and sometimes melts the foundation.

I had an employee that tried to get the embedder to work "better". Stuck the embedder leads into the wall socket and energized. Vaporized the cross wires and went off like a gun shot. :)

I have seen a couple of threads about making an electric embedder but nothing clear about the transformer.
An American site advised a 12V 2Amp transformer as this is what is put in the 'Kelley' embedders.

Can this be AC or must it be DC?

Either - it really doesn't matter. It sounds as if you need an old-style battery charger - just a transformer and diode pack (NOT a switched-mode power supply). These produce around 20 volts (peak) of what is known as 'lumpy-DC', i.e. full-wave rectified, but unsmoothed Direct Current at (usually) up to 4 or 5 amps.
But don't worry about the jargon - it's output will be near enough to what you are looking for. A 6 volt setting might well be a bonus, if you can find such a beast.

LJ

Are there any purpose built kits to do it?

Swienty sell one, also available in the UK from Modern Beekeeping at about £44.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back