Transferring from top bar to Langstroth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have made a few changes as going for Poly Langs and Top bar hives. My new top bars fit the langstroth T. bars so can work with the two if need be. Got rid of all my Nationals as didn't want to complicate it any further.
Question is:
My homemade top bar hive bars didn't fit either of the new hives so got rid of it. I screwed Langstroth top frame bars into old bars and placed them all in a new Lang poly hive. Looking today this brood comb is a bit of a mess with comb built everywhere. I placed a new brood box below with some drawn foundation with the hope the queen will go down. Once she is down I can put a QX on, let brood above emerge and then sort out this box. Problem is they are filling new bottom box with honey.
Not sure now what to do. Don't want to add a super above as too cold and also not all frames in bottom are drawn anyway. Any ideas?

One thing though, Poly hives seem best so far as build up is huge and really fast.

If you start with the premise that queens prefer to go up..... and work from that.

PH

If you start with the premise that queens prefer to go up..... and work from that.

PH
Hmm I did put it up last week but they didn't use it at all so changed it to under where they are now drawing frames and filling the already drawn. I just assumed it was too cold yet to be above even in a poly and with insulation and they must have thought the same. Maybe swap in a week if weather warms

Yes backup top again, preferrably with some drawn comb, find the queen if possible put her above with a q/excluder between. Wait three weeks ie all the brood will have hatched and you can remove the old brood box. If there are stores present you can introduce a couple of supers above the new brood box one of which can be entirely empty then put the old brood box with stores above that and they will hopefully move the stores down to nearer the laying queen. Has worked for me in the past.

Yes backup top again, preferrably with some drawn comb, find the queen if possible put her above with a q/excluder between. Wait three weeks ie all the brood will have hatched and you can remove the old brood box. If there are stores present you can introduce a couple of supers above the new brood box one of which can be entirely empty then put the old brood box with stores above that and they will hopefully move the stores down to nearer the laying queen. Has worked for me in the past.

Found her today. Marked her and clipped her wing and placed her in the box I want her in with QX. Placed her in top box so hatching drones can get out bottom. Will wait or 3 weeks now.
One thing I noticed, lot of the new comb they are building is drone comb and full of eggs, so she went in where I wanted her but went back to where I didn,t want her. Thankfully I found her on first frame so was a result anyway

Latest posts

Back