Transferring from a nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swiftgrade

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Everybody,

I’m very new to this and apologise if this is a stupid initial question (I have tried and failed to find the answer in numerous books and it also wasn’t covered in a course I did).

I am due to take delivery of my first ever nuc in the next few weeks. I have been reminding myself on what I need to do when transferring from nuc to hive and have one unanswered query. I understand that I should leave the nuc (with the entrance open) for a couple of days at the location of the hive and should then transfer the frames into the hive in the same relative position.

My query is that I had intended to set up my hive the warm way, but the nuc seems likely to be set up the cold way. When I leave the nuc in situ before the transfer, is it important to keep the entrance of the nuc in the same place that the entrance of the hive will be, or is it more important to have the frames in the nuc in the same alignment that the frames in the hive will eventually be in (which will mean that the entrance to the nuc is pointing in a different direction to the eventual entrance of the hive?

Thanks!

Hi Everybody,

I’m very new to this and apologise if this is a stupid initial question (I have tried and failed to find the answer in numerous books and it also wasn’t covered in a course I did).

I am due to take delivery of my first ever nuc in the next few weeks. I have been reminding myself on what I need to do when transferring from nuc to hive and have one unanswered query. I understand that I should leave the nuc (with the entrance open) for a couple of days at the location of the hive and should then transfer the frames into the hive in the same relative position.

My query is that I had intended to set up my hive the warm way, but the nuc seems likely to be set up the cold way. When I leave the nuc in situ before the transfer, is it important to keep the entrance of the nuc in the same place that the entrance of the hive will be, or is it more important to have the frames in the nuc in the same alignment that the frames in the hive will eventually be in (which will mean that the entrance to the nuc is pointing in a different direction to the eventual entrance of the hive?

Thanks!

Makes no difference .. as long as the Nuc is in the same position as the hive you transfer them to they will find the entrance. Warm way cold way .. the bees don't usually care.

There's no such thing as a stupid question on here .. it's just one you don't know the answer to ... usually someone will have some idea - more often than not several people will have several different ideas !

Set your hive up as you wish empty in its desired location. Warm and cold way is a load of bo?£(cks it’s just how you find it easier to manipulate the hive, personally it’s from the side for me so what would be called cold. When the nuc arrives sit it directly beside the hive or on the roof if you wish. Obviously face the entrances the same direction, pull the plug and go have a cup of tea. You could leave for a day if you wish but it won’t make much of a difference or do it immediately. If your in full sun and it’s hot your plastic nuc box may want some shade if your going to leave it sitting there, your new crown board would do. Ian

Thanks. That has set my mind at rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is more important to have the entrance facing in the desired direction (warm way/cold way is just a load of unneccessary flannel over something the bees will adjust to in minutes.)
no need to wait days to transfer them, when I hive nucs that were moved from elsewhere it's just the time it takes me to find my hive tool :D

Just one thing that has occured to me - the transfer is depenent on how strong the nuc is. If it's bursting and there's little room left for the queen to lay, then act immediately if, however, the nuc is a bit on the 'weak' side maybe only two or three frames of brood (5 frame nuc) then it would be wise to leabe them build up a bit before transferring them into a cavernous full hive.

Hi Swiftgrade,

As per advice from JBM and others, I transferred my nuc into a hive the day I brought them back.

As for warm or cold way, I have had mine configured so I can inspect them without standing in front of the entrance. Initially my hives were located with their backs to a fence so I had them the cold way - so I could inspect from the side. Now I have moved them further down the garden facing a different fence. Now they are configured the warm way so I can inspect from the back.

Latest posts

Back