Traditional, Comercial or Religious

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it's the solstice. I just love knowing that the days are lengthening - it gives me a real lift and I don't feel SAD anymore! Only 23 more days to go:hurray:

Rituals(group bonding behaviours) are important to social animals. To me these things are not solely things of religion but part of human behaviours part of us. As an atheist I got married in a church, the whole nine yard, because to not to have the full ritual of the tribe/family group/ is without meaning. Call it Christmas yule whatever the change of the seasons means something to us at a behavioural level. Even the bees feel the winter solstice.

'Traditional' in the sense that we make our own traditions. Not really interested in what Amazon and all the big corporations think we should be doing (and certainly made a point of not shopping on 'black friday', or today!).

To us, it's about having our family together; there aren't very many of us, but we're spread across the UK and rarely get everyone in the same place.

This will be the first year in our 'forever' home, and eldest daughter will be home from her first term at Uni, so a bit more special than usual.

Traditional here too, and mostly our own traditions that work for us as a family. No massive presents either.

Do something you enjoy doing.

Very few people have the luxury of working in a job that they really, really, enjoy ... in my past experience - if you enjoy doing it then the likelihood is that it won't pay you enough to live on ...

I think employers know when it's a job someone would almost do for nothing as it's not like work ... and they take the opportunity to ... pay very little.

People who work with animals,wildlife and nature in general, musicians, yacht skippers, holiday reps, actors, beekeepers ? ... Mostly people who will tell you they love their job but the pay (except for a few lucky ones at the top of the tree) is usually pretty abyssmal.

The vast majority of people have to settle for a job they tolerate as a means to earning a living ...

Traditional here too, and mostly our own traditions that work for us as a family. No massive presents either.

Yes ... very traditional for us .. a time when the family comes together for, hopefully, a few days of relaxation, food, fun and when-we's ... We will be having Christmas day on the day before Christmas Eve this year as our flock will be heading off to in-laws and homes elsewhere for Christmas day this year ...

First time ever there will just be four of us at the table actually on Christmas Day - the numbers are dwindling anyway - I'm now the oldest living except for my soon to be 97 years old mum ...

Quite near me there is a town which has 22% unemployment. Several papermills have stopped manufacturing for ever. 54 000 inhabitants there.

Last edited:
Tough luck for them if they don't then, they only have themselves to blame for that.

What do you mean?
If you do the same job for 45 years, no matter how varied and demanding, its bound to lose some of it's lustre. Isn't that why people have hobbies like beekeeping?

I had to settle for a job I could do but it rarely excited me. There were only two jobs I really wanted. George Best got one of them and Keith Richards the other.

When I saw the heading for this thread I thought it was about types of beekeeping.........lol.

We see them all on here......and more.

What do you mean?
If you do the same job for 45 years, no matter how varied and demanding, its bound to lose some of it's lustre. Isn't that why people have hobbies like beekeeping?

Well, I've been keeping bees for 43 years. Been making a decent living at it to boot. No lustre lost here.

Now, about having a hobby.... :)

We need scientic facts about fantasy person.

Christmas has been long time before Jesus Christ in Roman Empire and among Celts.

Facts and religion don't really mix. Christmas to me certainly isn't about religion. It is an excuse to spend time with family. Not that there should be a special day for it. That is more important to me than gifts or celebrating myths invented by greedy power hungry men to exploit sheeple.

Tough luck for them if they don't then, they only have themselves to blame for that.

I'm lucky ... I've had a great commercial life and I've enjoyed what I've done in the past, I've worked hard but it's been rewarding and even fun at times - whenever I've got to the stage where I wasn't enjoying it - I've changed and coped with what those decisions have thrown at me.

But ... suggesting that people only have themselves to blame is harsh ... not everyone has the chance, the ability, the attitude or the wherewithall to be choosy about what they do to earn a living ....

I feel most for the young people - there aren't that many apprenticeship schemes for beekeepers available !

No, no its true, I do only have myself to blame, it was me and my then girlfriend that ended up expecting a baby (though I hasten to add that she was in fact on the pill at the time)
It was us that decided that although only 18 and 21 at the time that we would make it work.
It was us that worked our arses off to buy our first house.
It was me that wanted us to be more comfortable and to afford luxuries like an oven so that we could eat more than salad so I went where the money was better.
It was me and my wife that decided that now we were more financially secure we would have another child.
It was me again that moved into different jobs to earn more money to buy our next house and make sure our children were well provisioned and looked after
It was me that worked on that house all day and worked a night shift.
And so on it goes, three children, all doing very well, a reasonably decent house and me working my way up the ladder at work for the last 17 years to become the manager of my department, the wage is okay but it's stressful and frustrating some times.
Our incoming wages just cover the bills with a bit left over for a UK holiday each year and the odd takeaway.
If I left, which I have considered, my industry is on its arse at the moment so I'd have to look at another change of career, unfortunately as Im not qualified for other positions that pay a similar wage Im a bit stuck.
I am still looking but yes, you are right, it is my fault, with hindsight maybe I should have just gone into council accommodation and claimed benefits, at least then I could have done a low paid job with no stress like working with animals or something.

What do you mean?

:yeahthat:
after 40 years the lustre has now gone.

Latest posts

Back