Top insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a wonder any bees can exist over here.

Perhaps that is why they don't fly at night, don't fly in the winter and stay indoors mostly when cool or raining. Statistics like that are about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Regards, RAB

than 15 deg C its a wonder any bees can exist over here. .

Our average temp is 1,9 ºC during period 1971-2000. So where? Last year our average year temp was in Helsinki +7C and in Lapland 0C.

Yes, you have so harsh climate but your beekeepers are even more harsh.

I have here only 70 cm snow around hives. Nothing harsh here. By day temp is now +1C and sun is shining

http://www.foreca.com/

Traffic cameras http://alk.tiehallinto.fi/alk/frames/kelikamerat-frame.html

Last edited:
When the hive is too hot? Have you in UK much temps whic are over 30C by day? In sunshine the temp goes over the brood area temp.

One day a year, maybe it is 30 deg C but there are huge variations across the country and the extremes are far less than Finland, so warmer winters, cooler summers, more rain, more wind, higher humidity.

Perhaps that is why they don't fly at night, don't fly in the winter and stay indoors mostly when cool or raining. Statistics like that are about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

In some areas, maybe not too far from you 50% of the days in the month have some rain. So taking away the days with rain, the days when its too cold and the nights when its too dark to fly :) that leaves about a week a year when its just right for the bees, and that is when they swarm...

Last edited:
its a wonder any bees can exist over here.

Regards, RAB

I read somewhere about bees orientating themselves by the moon and collecting nectar from some sort of flowering tree which produced nectar at night. If I remember right it was in nicaragua

I read somewhere about bees orientating themselves by the moon and collecting nectar from some sort of flowering tree which produced nectar at night. If I remember right it was in nicaragua

Something like that, but I have seen that honeybee is not able to fly anymore after sunset. Human eye see quite when in situation where bee has difficulties to go home.

And when you look, honeybee stops foraging quite early before sunset.

Wasps I have seen flying almost in the darkness.

and the extremes are far less than Finland, .

When we think about beekeeping the biggest differencies are in honey pastures.

In agricultural area near seacost there are cultivated fields and almost only nectar source is rape.

Near towns it is gardens which give honey and much uncultivated waste land.

In eastern parts raspberry is very important and fireweed.

When we go more to north, fireweed in in many places only nectar source.

I migrate hives and it is very necessary to every one who has over 10 hives.

maybe bees stay up later if their on cocaine

Latest posts

Back