Top bar hive –-introducing eggs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
OK, I know TBHs are not the most popular on here, but I am using one for the first time this year and have a problem/query.

I used the hive to house a healthy swarm that alighted in my apiary just before my holiday. I left the QE board near the entrance until they became used to it, but then forgot to remove it.

Anyway, it has built up quickly In my absence, got to a point of swarming. On my return, there were hundreds of dead drones, signs of a couple of hatched queens, but I fear it is now Q-.

The question is this: how does one introduce a 'test frame' or new material into a TBH if one only has one TBH? Has anyone out there just rested a frame inside or found some other workaround?

Many thanks.

Make a hole into a comb and put there same size piece into the hole.

Or put a bigger piece of comb hang between natural combs.

Take one topbar bar.
Cut a small piece of comb with eggs. about 2cms high and 10-20cms wide.
Rubber band comb to bar.
Insert bar in hive.

Cut a piece of comb out of a frame with eggs and larvae, then take a topbar bar with comb, cut some of the comb to size and using you fingers squeeze both combs together. The bees will do the rest and strengthen the comb.

Kenyan? Warre?
More effort and messier, but you can put a whole frame in by doing a chop and crop.
In a warre you can cut the frame down to the correct length and then cut the comb to the size of the box.
You may need to cut a small piece of the bottom off the end of the frame too if it's too thick for the warre recess.
In a Kenyan, you can cut the the whole comb out , crop it to the trapezoidal shape and then suspend it from a top bar using gardening twine (or string) and one of the frame bottom bars as a support so the wire (or string) doesn't just cut through the comb.
Done both successfully. ;)

To add to the above suggestions, Ive put nicot cups on a flat top bar and grafted lavae to add to a suspect Q- swarm in a top bar hive. I have also bent some mesh into a C shape leaving prongs, pinned mesh to topbar and then secured a section of (older)brood comb onto the wire by laying comb on a flat surface and pushing it onto the prongs of the C shape mesh to place in topbar hive

Make a hole into a comb and put there same size piece into the hole.

Or put a bigger piece of comb hang between natural combs.

Thanks, Finman.

Take one topbar bar.
Cut a small piece of comb with eggs. about 2cms high and 10-20cms wide.
Rubber band comb to bar.
Insert bar in hive.

Thanks, Madasafish. I had wondered about doing something like that.

Kenyan in this case, Bingevader, though I have a couple of Warrés not currently being used, so I'll bear that in mind for the future.

Many thanks.

Kenyan? Warre?
More effort and messier, but you can put a whole frame in by doing a chop and crop.
In a warre you can cut the frame down to the correct length and then cut the comb to the size of the box.
You may need to cut a small piece of the bottom off the end of the frame too if it's too thick for the warre recess.
In a Kenyan, you can cut the the whole comb out , crop it to the trapezoidal shape and then suspend it from a top bar using gardening twine (or string) and one of the frame bottom bars as a support so the wire (or string) doesn't just cut through the comb.
Done both successfully. ;)

To add to the above suggestions, Ive put nicot cups on a flat top bar and grafted lavae to add to a suspect Q- swarm in a top bar hive. I have also bent some mesh into a C shape leaving prongs, pinned mesh to topbar and then secured a section of (older)brood comb onto the wire by laying comb on a flat surface and pushing it onto the prongs of the C shape mesh to place in topbar hive

Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Back