Top Bar bait hive in the Wyre Forest anybody?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Today I've been handed what appears to be a bait hive with top bars, recovered from the Wyre Forest in Worcestershire. It seems it had been placed without permission in an area that has now been cleared.

If the owner would like to contact me with a good description of it I'll happily return it and give you a 1 hour frame making detention.

People really do that?

oh yes a couple of years ago I had someone come onto private land along way from the road (granted there was a footpath a hundred yards away) and plonk a bait hive in front of my apiary, without permission, never did find out who did it.

C B

People really do that?

Yes. There's somebody localish to me who catches swarms and puts them into TBHs on roundabouts, scrubland (aka 'left for wildlife') in local parks etc. They apparently think they're replenishing the feral population.

Such behaviour used to merit a good horse whipping . . .

How long before it becomes firewood, winter approaches with great speed?

Yes. There's somebody localish to me who catches swarms and puts them into TBHs on roundabouts, scrubland (aka 'left for wildlife') in local parks etc. They apparently think they're replenishing the feral population.

With the hive theft problem we have in Hampshire I'd be surprised if they stay there long .... !!

Latest posts

Back