too late to move?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
the farm where I keep my bees is planning to build some holiday lets where my hives are and is in planning permission phase. there is the off chance they start the project this year. my bees are flying and collecting pollen but very cold weather expected this week. should I take the chance of moving them a few 100 yards now or gamble that works will not start before next winter break?

I would be inclined to move them now....think what a problem it would be in May...!!!

Has the farmer any land a few miles away that they could stay at for a few weeks...?

bee-smillie

Move most (no idea of how many), but leave one or two or three on current station to absorb any bees that might otherwise be lost? With other usual precautions taken, for moving short distances, they should not be too depleted and few bees lost.

thanks for the reassuring advice. I only overwintered 3 hives (thank god I reduced them from 6 so I have less to move). Not so keen on leaving one behind. I am an all or nothing type of personality :). I could put a nuc box with honey stores on the original site but doubt weather that will do any good as I hope there will not be enough stragglers to have a big enough cluster to keep the temperatures up.

thanks for the reassuring advice. I only overwintered 3 hives (thank god I reduced them from 6 so I have less to move). Not so keen on leaving one behind. I am an all or nothing type of personality :). I could put a nuc box with honey stores on the original site but doubt weather that will do any good as I hope there will not be enough stragglers to have a big enough cluster to keep the temperatures up.

If you're confident of the cold snap just go ahead with the move - belt and braces? in this weather you could safely just shut the hives up for three or four days if you have OMF, try and obtain some magic twigs as well to cover the entrance when you do open them (or lean a crown board or similar over the entrance to 'confuse' them a bit) just use every trick really - you shouldn't lose too many regardless.

?As above.

I moved a full hive in high summer 400 yds to test the 3/3 adage.

No problems at all with a crown board leant against the entrance.

NOT ONE returned to the old site.

Just because it is in the books don't make it true! Unless I am the author......LOLOL

PH

Yep, magic twigs (and grass) do it for me too. :)

Latest posts

Back