too early to inspect for new queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from OP. Limited pollen going in....so just inspected both hives

In both hives eggs present but nothing older. Some cells (15%?) have more than 1 (up to 3), but all are in the bottom of the cell, none on side walls. So while it could be DLQ, I think it's a queen getting into her stride. Did not spot queen in either, but did not want to disturb too too much to find.

Larger populus hive has several queen cups with an egg in, but none charged with RJ. I think this is a queen laying just about anywhere she can (including on top of some cells 1/2 full with pollen), but will need to keep eye on this. Lots of stores here especially of pollen which may account for lack of pollen going in.

Bees v calm on comb in both hives (much more than usual for them particularly given thundery weather), so either they are calmed because of queen; eggs; or lassitude and fatalism associated with DLW.

My plan is to inspect again in 5 days time to check on queen cups.

Comments from the more experienced here?

acabee.

Last edited:
Laying after only three week means she has almost certainly been mated.

DLQs don't normally start to lay until past the window for mating.

Sorry about the spat after post #9 (should be capped brood by then), but allowing rubbish like that to be spread around is the fastest way to get ludicrously incorrect timings believed by any inexperienced person who might read it.

RAB

Last edited:
Thanks o90o. I'm reassured and will be even more reassured if/when I see capped worker cells. I'm just hoping that the queen cups with eggs in will not have been charged...

acabee

So another update on this thread - help welcome on ways forward.

Inspected original hive today. This is a recent emergency queen (2/3 weeks ago; laying in last week); bees on 9 frames, eggs and uncapped brood only. Good stores on outer frames, has had undrawn super on throughout May and June to give more room if needed, but not used as yet. 4 charged QCs present: 2 on 4th frame in from back, both centre, on face of comb; 1 QC each on separate centre frames, near base of comb (but not on the wood). Probably day 4 (v small larvae floating). Given current number and position, I think supersedure rather than swarm intent. As rest of brood is yet uncapped I can't tell if it is worker or drone, but it *seems* to be that bees are drawing out at least some cells in anticipation of the more domed capping of a drone. So I *might* have a DLQ. Looked for queen, could not spot. Will bees try to make QCs from drone eggs??

Options at this stage, as I see it:

1. Leave bees to supersedure, but say goodbye to any honey this year at all and possibility of being back at square 1 in 4 weeks (which is much worse).
2. Leave till Friday - check again for drone brood / QCs. If either present, find queen; squish; remove QCs; order new queen; check again in 3 days; remove any further QCs; introduce new queen.

In the short term, I've removed QE in case they want to go upstairs.

Thoughts on the above?

acabee

Short answer as too tired to think much...yes bees will forlornly draw cells from drone larvae...and seal them. They do not show dimpled finish like proper QCs and the larvae do not pupate...in fact they often have two larvae inside (not policed). In my experience.

Thanks susbees... I'll take a look in today if I can with the weather forecast. If it is a DLQ I think I'll unite with my other hive (will need to sieve for queen first) so I get one stronger one than two weak. Oh joy.

acabee

<sigh> BOTH queens turned out to be drone layers.
<another sigh>
Looks like I'm in the market for queens!

acabee

Back