Too early for Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftOtter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it too early to treat with apiguard? We have taken a reasonable crop off so any tainted honey would be left on for the bees anyway.

Is it too early to treat with apiguard? We have taken a reasonable crop off so any tainted honey would be left on for the bees anyway.

Way too soon for me got too many supers on. I think its still behind although they did seem to catchup fast. Its judging the long term weather forecast though!

I would expect your bees will still have plenty of forage so will need supers. I remove my supers 2nd week of August and then start thymol treatments . Most of my hives are double brood so little chance of blocking the brood nest for the all important winter bees.

Last edited:
FAQ 14. Q: It’s very hot where my hives are but the colonies need treating; is it safe to use Apiguard in these conditions?
A: At temperatures above 25oC (77oF) it is possible to use a half-dose of Apiguard and get a very good mite kill. Use 2 doses of 25g Apiguard, one week apart instead of 2 x 50g at two weeks apart. A third 25g dose is sometimes used after the second week where mite infestations are high. In some countries Apiguard is now available in 25g sachets.
When it is very hot, the thymol sublimes faster from the gel and the bees are more active moving the Apiguard around. Both these factors increase the effectiveness of the treatment and less product is needed. Make sure the hive entrance is not restricted, allowing thymol vapour to escape.
http://www.vita-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/VitaApiguardFAQ201208.pdf

Its a bit early to be giving up on the season, but if you are, then you could treat now.

If you are going to let them keep all remaining income, probably best to think in terms of brood and a half (or double) so as to ensure brood space for the bees that will be the "winter bees".
There should be lots more income still to come - or at least that's what I'm hoping!

As long as you haven't got any supers on its fine to treat. I've been mainly focused on building up my colonies this year, and I've had treatments on at different points of this year already, depending on the colony.

Georgia

Check the drop before you treat, no need to stress the bees if you don't need to

Apiguard end of August - unless you are using the new MAQS when Apiguard becomes redundant. By end of August all the supers, except those for cleaning after extraction or for winter feed should be off, and that timing will allow the Q to lay enough for winter workers to survive .

Latest posts

Back