Too early for a shook swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not bother trying to help them from some of the comments made towards you which where totally uncalled for, you know what you are on about just let them think they know what they are doing, it will be there loss at the end of the day.

Unfortunately, the greatest loss is likely to be perfectly good colonies of bees!

I feel for the students who won't have the experience to realise that what they are being taught is inappropriate, incorrect or just a load of old tosh. With any luck, a few of them might be directed by Richard's link to have a gander here.

Looking at the weather forcast on now the bees will be struggling now as a cold snap even down here in the south.

I was intending to do shook swarms on all my hives this month but looking like it will be april now as not looking good and I hadn't seen a good forcast to give me hope.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the greatest loss is likely to be perfectly good colonies of bees!

I feel for the students who won't have the experience to realise that what they are being taught is inappropriate, incorrect or just a load of old tosh. With any luck, a few of them might be directed by Richard's link to have a gander here.
I am still new to all this but from what i know that video clip looks like Frank Spencer has made it, and you may be glad to know i will never ever do a shook swarm,Ever Ever Ever.

I am still new to all this but from what i know that video clip looks like Frank Spencer has made it, and you may be glad to know i will never ever do a shook swarm,Ever Ever Ever.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2: The NBU leaflet does have a disclaimer. In the second video I hope they do an update confirming nosema. All the dead bees were probably covering the entrance stopping them from their cleansing flights.

Wow, i feel really sorry for the poor bees under the supposed care of these people, asking a small colonies to draw out all those frames at this time of year is just not going to work, they should be in a Nuc box with that small amount of bees, i fear they are doomed, very sad, i watched the other videos in the series, shocking and they are teaching others :hairpull:

Wow, i feel really sorry for the poor bees under the supposed care of these people, asking a small colonies to draw out all those frames at this time of year is just not going to work, they should be in a Nuc box with that small amount of bees, i fear they are doomed, very sad, i watched the other videos in the series, shocking and they are teaching others :hairpull:

Just aswell i only have book's and this brilliant forum, no stone age mentor required here, ;) YET.. :spy:

You're a thinking beek, obvs. :) my concern was wider than the shook swarm. Have a look at some of the other vids... the "mentoring" - to me it's shocking.

You're a thinking beek, obvs. :) my concern was wider than the shook swarm. Have a look at some of the other vids... the "mentoring" - to me it's shocking.

I thought that as well. Worst of all is people are paying good money to do the course.

Re the comments. The NBU advice is workable down here in the warm south but not up in Cheshire, BUT only if fine weather is on the way which it is not and the colony is big enough to cope with it which it wasn't.

Interesting comment by Femina Street Quote "You do not know what our temperatures were, and what the F*** is a mite that deals with decomposition got to do with bees. You know nothing John Snows."

I wonder what she was talking about as the previous post had been deleted.

shook swarm? We haven't done first inspection yet.
Just because the NBU says its possible, It doesnt make it optimal or essential for every colony, every year.

looks like beekeeping by calendar... that certainly doesnt work in a country that has weather rather than a climate you can set your calendar by

I am lost for words . You can see where the money has gone though . Shocking .

Unfortunately, no qualifications (not even the BBKA Basic) are required to become a tutor of beekeeping. I'm not a fan of enforced qualifications so the last thing I am suggesting is that anything like that becomes a requirement but .. there is a problem. Some people are teaching beekeeping (often for large sums of money) I suspect having never laid a hand on a hive.

In addition - it is so easy now to make a video and put it up as an 'instructable' on the net with no need for validation of the content.

I've seen some horrendous stuff - not just on beekeeping - but on the internet generally that is between downright dangerous and potentially lethal. People asking questions about electrical installations and gas installations being answered by morons who clearly have no idea what they are talking about - but with an air of authority that purports them as an 'expert' because 'this is what I did'.

There is no way that this can be stopped - but there should be the opportunity to challenge stupidity - and at present - this is not always possible as the owners of such internet submissions can simply delete or prevent posts or criticism that they don't like.

The beauty of forums like this one is that, generally, stupidity can be openly challenged and the quantity and diversity of posts and contributors will usually allow the person seeking advice to make a balanced judgement.

If one is considering paying for a course then Caveat Emptor applies ... or to give it its full phrase:

Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit. "Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party."

make sure that the people delivering the course have some good recommendations at least and preferablly some history of providing good information.

The same should apply for the 'free' advice available so readily on the internet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back