To save honey bees we need to design them new hives. The Conversation (Media Outlet)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting bit of research. I'm not experienced enough to comment but I'd imagine this will kick off quite a vigorous debate. I'll get my popcorn!!

Well, there's an inaccuracy in the first paragraph. In the USA honey bee hives have not been declining by 40% per annum. There have been 40% losses, which is terrible, but overall colony numbers are showing long term increase. Losses get replaced. It's still a high loss rate though.

But if you dig into the numbers it shows that losses are highest with "sideline" beekeepers and much lower with commercial operations (28%)
https://bip2.beeinformed.org/survey/

The media is always trying to paint the picture that honey bees are in decline which is not true globally. Other insects such as bumble bees and butterflies are apparently having a much harder time.

Also, I know several commercial bee farmers that use wood hives and suffer very low losses (average well below 10% pa). They may not have high humidity in their hives but they treat appropriately for varroa mites, feed at the right times and raise quality queens.

I also know people with similarly low losses who use poly hives. Most of mine are poly and I like them, but I don't think the experienced beekeepers using wood hives are fools or are harming their bees.

Still, it's good that research into these things is ongoing.

The odd thing Seve is that the people with timber who do well are often located either in the south or in places that are notable for being unusually soft climate wise. The Moray coast for instance.

The colder and wetter the climate the more insuslation comes to the fore.

PH

Interesting article, understanding natural hives is fascinating.

I wonder if the headline was written by someone else as it wheels out the old trope that domesticated bees need saving. It doesn't align with the article's focus on how wild hives work.

Livestock doesn't need saving, wild stocks do.

The odd thing Seve is that the people with timber who do well are often located either in the south or in places that are notable for being unusually soft climate wise. The Moray coast for instance.

The colder and wetter the climate the more insuslation comes to the fore.

PH

I find how Michael Palmer overwinters bees is a fasinating subject. Judging by his videos, his wooden hives are bursting with bees in spring. I believe he uses wraps in winter - and does insulate roofs..

What a load of obsessive, innaccurate and sensationalist tripe.
The last thing we need is yet another gimicky beehive design

Perhaps, but you know how people with pet bees like to play with them
That’s all it would ever be
Isn’t there an outfit that hollow out logs and hoist them into trees?

North American winters tend to be dry.

I was colder on Stonehaven beach at plus two than I was two days earlier at Niagara falls at minus 16. There it was dry and at Stoney it was wet.

If making comparisons it needs to be eggs against eggs. :)

PH

very hard to calculate hive losses as usa hives come in two forms five and ten framed coloneys, possibly most losses are five frame hive which we call nucs and they split nucs to make more bees which we dont

Interesting article, understanding natural hives is fascinating.

Ido.

Why varroa kills natural hives first.

WHO produces honey with natural hives?

Derekm does not accept polyboxes. They are not perfect. But he cannot say, what is that NEW hive.

Last edited:
very hard to calculate hive losses as usa hives come in two forms five and ten framed coloneys, possibly most losses are five frame hive which we call nucs and they split nucs to make more bees which we dont

You take results now from your own head . The results are what they are, and do not add your on ideas into them.

Biggest factor in losses is varroa.

North American winters tend to be dry.

I was colder on Stonehaven beach at plus two than I was two days earlier at Niagara falls at minus 16. There it was dry and at Stoney it was wet.

If making comparisons it needs to be eggs against eggs. :)

PH

There are many kind of winters in USA . Their problem is that winter is warm. If there would be a good brood gap during winter, it would ne easier to kill mites.

There are hard winters in Michigan and tropic around Mexican Gulf.

yes finman they are from my head, but you cannot get away from there habit of keeping bees in nucs and dividing them and overwintering only on five frames which are weak before winter

I find how Michael Palmer overwinters bees is a fasinating subject. Judging by his videos, his wooden hives are bursting with bees in spring. I believe he uses wraps in winter - and does insulate roofs..

Yes he does.. but the 3 to 4 feet depth of snow also acts as an insulator from the effects of both direct cold and wind chill, so whilst air temperature above the snow can be -20C or below the temperature around the hive, especially between the jacket and the hive body will only be a few C below freezing.
And the depth of snow increases very rapidly where he is. I remember him at the NHS a few years ago, and on day 2 he showed the picture he'd received the previous evening of the first snow of the year .. about an inch.

yes finman they are from my head, but you cannot get away from there habit of keeping bees in nucs and dividing them and overwintering only on five frames which are weak before winter

I do not know what you ttu to say. Makes no sense.

What idea is to devive in autumn and over winter 5 frame hives?

And a half of losses are summer losses, same figure 20% as winter losses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back