To cut out or not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
I had a call from a lady that Has bees in her garage roof and would like them removed, She would like this done from the top through the tiles which I feel is far more work and would be cheaper for her to have the plasterboard ceiling replaced or part of it. Now after the past two cut outs I realise how much work goes into these so would like your opinions and to know if you would charge for this and how much.

You don't need them; you can be choosy.

Are you a builder by trade? If not, tell her to get a price from a roofer to sort the tiles and you will sort the bees.

What pitch is the roof? You should also be using scaffolding outside?

I suppose you could charge for the preparation and re-tiling, but make the colony removal free, but your insurance might be compromised.

RAB

Through the ceiling or not at all would be my view. If it's tiled, it's pitched: scaffolding needed at large cost to her. And she needs to get a builder to do the repairs whatever. Use a stethoscope to find out exactly where they are.

Hi Outlander,
If in doubt don't do it. I would want to do it from the outside. Job not seen, but generally speaking moving and replacing a few tiles not difficult. Cutouts are time consuming though! I don't charge, but there are people on the forum who do and they come along in a minute.

You’re all so very right. Susbees your right up through the ceiling without a doubt.

Beeno, if in doubt don't do it. Though I would charge for such a job as it can be hard work and time consuming.

Rab, you’re so very right. Yes I can be choosey can't I? So instead I turned down the chance to take a look and went and removed and rehomed to colonies of bumble bees with the lovely and witty VG. And it was fun to do.

Thank you all.

correct me if I am wrong but i'm pretty sure that Beekeepers liability insurance is void once the keeper is a certain height off the ground - i think its step ladder height or maybe even less. I doubt insurance would also cover you for the breaking into the roof part either. You'd have to make the person asking for the removal well aware of this before proceeding to avoid any come back on yourself and manage expectations

Having done a cut out from a kitchen wall once in late August - its not something i would want to try again. It took all day, was very messy, the bees were wild and not used to handling - I got badly stung.

Despite doing my best to prepare the house holder for what to expect they were not happy with how the cavity was left after the extraction and expected I would seal it back up. I would suggest to keep receipts for any items you buy to assist removing such bees and you ask the person calling you out to pay those expenses. I had to buy a recking bar, wasp nest kill spray (to finish of remains of the nest) gas cylinder for my blow torch to sterilize the cavity once brood nest was out) and poly filler/foam spray gun to block up the cavity entrance on the outside in order to prevent future re-colonization. Easily spent £60.

I discovered later once back at my apiary that the brood was in poor health. There was bald brood, very heavy varroa infestation, deformed wing virus was rife along with sac brood. I decided to discard and incinerate the rescued brood and treat them like a swarm, shaking them into a nuc with undrawn frames. I would think twice before taking in brood from a feral colony again. It was more hassle than it was worth and the bees did not survive the winter.

I've heard other keepers recommend against taking in brood from feral cut outs citing disease risks.

There are a few specialized small pest control businesses that can undertake feral colony cut out and extraction but they are a bit expensive - especially if it involves the likes of dismantling a chimney (which I have seen pictures of)

There was one such company present at last autumns National Honey show in the sales and exhibitors hall.

No, I know my limitations, London Flower, and taking bricks out to expose a colony in a cavity wall is not for me. One, it's too much like hard work. Now, the garage roof would be simple, but again hard work for what you would get out of it.

Had another one today in a flat roof on a 1970s bathroom extension. I did go and look, as the guy convinced me that the past few stings he has had from the bees in this colony, his reactions have gotten worse and his doctor wants more tests to be done. He has a range of bee friendly plants and a number of different types of bees living within his garden, which was his plan.

This colony was very busy and I got the impression that it was a big one. I don't normally talk about the destruction of a colony but in certain circumstances, I feel it can be necessary. At this present time he does not have the money to spend out on a new roof, so has found a pest control guy willing to destroy the colony. He wants to think about it further and discuss with his wife, but if he was to ask me and was willing to pay expenses I would remove this for him. There is building work going on next door and the builders who have been stung several times are willing to pay half his cost for pest control so think the pestie will get this one.

correct me if I am wrong but i'm pretty sure that Beekeepers liability insurance is void once the keeper is a certain height off the ground - i think its step ladder height or maybe even less.

I was told once that the most common cause of beekeepers being admitted into hospital is not sting reactions, or anything similar. It is falling off ladders while trying to recover swarms!

I was told once that the most common cause of beekeepers being admitted into hospital is not sting reactions, or anything similar. It is falling off ladders while trying to recover swarms!

Yep, I can believe that.

Latest posts

Back