tips on strumming around a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil edwards

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Anyone got any good tips on time of day for strimming the apiary and what is best to use my petrol strimmer sends the bees crazy the same goes for my disc mower cheers Phil

Supposed to be the frequency of the 2 stroke engines that they hate. I can mow within a few feet of my hives with a 4 stroke but have to avoid flight lines. Maybe early morning on a cool drizzly day your best bet.
I mow where I can and intermittently use roundup on the taller weeds close to the hives and garden shears if it is a few bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do it quickly. Lol.
The b&q one I have seems OK but the yellow one drives them crazy. Macullock I think it is. Or something like that.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Go real battery. The 56v Li ion strimmer from Ego Power seems to have the guts to do the job.

I get someone else to do it!
I have wondered about getting an electric model - anyone tried them compared to petrol?

I never strim or strum now. Every time I got near the hives they swarmed. Probably coincidental but now just mow.
E

Mine go just as crazy with a lithium battery powered strimmer.
The four stroke ride on is ignored completely.
Trouble is i cant take that to the out apiary
Just do it fast early am or late pm and do a runner afterwards
Most of the time I use my curved opinel knife and yank it across the long grass at the front every month or so.

Last edited:
Old fashioned slasher - don't need nowt but muscle power for those and bees never bothered

I have Husky, it's a 2 stroke and as long as I'm quick it doesn't seem to piss them off that much at all.

The line is an industrial square cross-section. It tends to whistle more than buzz.

The motor's a fairly large 2 stroke too so not high revving.

Roundup isn't toxic to insects but I wouldn't spray it in the entrance of the hive ;)

I suppose the grass box on the mower would not fill up so quick

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Or better still spend a few hundred quid and lay a big concrete pad, job sorted :rolleyes:

Not a bad concept. Next time I roundup my bee yard I am considering a deep layer of wood chip.

Not a bad concept. Next time I roundup my bee yard I am considering a deep layer of wood chip.

A cheaper option would be too buy a few bales of pine shavings that horse folk use, nothing seems to grow once that is rotted into the ground.

Never had a problem when strimming round the bee's.

Latest posts

Back