Thymol feeding question.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakerbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
5 commercials no more😭
Apologies if my 1st post concerning this topic turns up again, but i understand the site is having issues and my original post has disappeared. I have now finished my apiguard treatments and am feeding for winter. I have noticed one or two moth larvae on my inspection board so want to use some of hivemakers thymol recipe but am unsure if its just one feed to give them with it or sll the feeds for winter. I font want to overdose them and although ive read alot about the benefits of feeding thymol and the dosage for syrup im unsure if its a one feed thing or more. Thanks for any help in this everyone.

That's a very good question.

My understanding is that the lower dose is to prevent the Syrup from fermenting, also it can help counter Nosema, so for the lower dose all the Syrup would have it added.

The higher dose is also for Varroa, and it was my understanding that again this should be added to all the Syrup, as I have just made up a batch of this Thymol Emulsified Mixture and am now adding it to my Winter Syrup feed, re-assurance from more experienced members would help. (Your Post Bakerbee has made me doubt myself)

My understanding is that the lower dose is to prevent the Syrup from fermenting, also it can help counter Nosema, so for the lower dose all the Syrup would have it added.

The higher dose is also for Varroa, and it was my understanding that again this should be added to all the Syrup, as I have just made up a batch of this Thymol Emulsified Mixture and am now adding it to my Winter Syrup feed, re-assurance from more experienced members would help. (Your Post Bakerbee has made me doubt myself)

Are you on Medication by any chance.. :spy:

Thymolated syrup is to stop fermentation and control Nosema.

It will not control Varroa or wax moth. If you have used Apiguard correctly then your Varroa should be under control until a mid winter treatment. A healthy colony should deal with/tolerate wax moth without beekeeper intervention.

Pity we can't say the same for the answer

My understanding is that the lower dose is to prevent the Syrup from fermenting,

Correct

also it can help counter Nosema,

Not much good at the lower dose

The higher dose is also for Varroa

Totally wrong - the higher dose is for nosema.

In both cases it should be in all the feed.

Copied & Pasted from
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49691&postcount=44

"Also as a slight side note i have detected no varroa mites in the vast majority of hives,very very few in some,and no oxalic used at all,reminds me of pre 2002 when i always fed thymolated syrup."

Based on what other members have said, the above sentence in the Sticky should be deleted, otherwise disregarded as it is bad or false advice given by or observations made by Hivemaker. This was not my original understanding of the Post. Sorry for misrepresenting what I thought it said. As for the Nosema, I have just checked my personal notes, in part compiled from this sticky, and the members are correct in the explanation, in future I will check before posting :redface:

Im aware of fermentation reason but have read it can help with wax moth. I also thought a profolactic use if stored in cells overwinter would help with nosema. So thankyou for the advice. As i understand it its all winter prep feeds. I knew it was not for varroa but understand those points might not have been aimed at me. Cheers all.

Latest posts

Back