Thymol death syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.

What problems does the mould cause?
While potassium sorbate is a preservative and inhibits mould, it is used in the wine industry as well as in processed food, I believe it is banned in Europe because it is toxic to DNA and the immune system, it also damages good bacteria in the gut. It only affects a certain percentage of the population. I don't know what effect it will have on the gut of a bee.

You can remove the plastic cone that sits on top and fill the feed with straw.

I used potassium sorbate. You make a stock solution in the ratio of 40g to 1L water, then add 5ml stock per litre of syrup.
Acetic acid (vinegar) is much cheaper and easily available, 5 litres of 77% for 12.50 delivered. Just needs a dash of concentrate in 5 litres of syrup

if you feed the bees properly, the syrup is never in the feeder long enough to get mouldy
I think it is more during storage if you make a good sized batch there might be a problem.For better or worse I use a spoonful of apple cider vinegar and 1000mg vit c per 2kg sugar in my mix

Latest posts

Back