Three strikes and you out!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Despite all efforts one of my hives decided to swarm, they emerged at about 11 O'clock yesterday and settled on a low branch close to the hive.
So I suited up, ready to collect, by the time I returned they had gone.... Back to the hive!!!
They were all over the landing board and slowly moving back into the hive.

Later that afternoon they came out again, this time settling on a low shrub, again I suited up, and I'm sure you have guested they when back to the hive.

Now will they swarm again?, or give up. and why did they do this anyway?

The weather yesterday was bright and 25°c today it's about 18°c and light drizzle (although it will be 25°+ after lunch)

Any thoughts?

Nigel

How can we do more than a guess of 'yes' or 'no'?

Haven't a clue what your best efforts might be or might not have been.

Going to give us any clues?

Either the Queen isn't leaving with them, isn't capable of leaving with them or she is returning to the hive. In all cases the bees will be called back.

It's not so unusual and if it happens for three consecutive weather permitting days I would normally split the colony doing the job for them leaving the original hive with its Queen cells.

Chris

I believe MJBee's bees have done this.
Maybee it's a French thing :D

Only seen this sort of behavour with queenless queen banks where they swarm and return on a near daily basis.

In out in out shake it all about, you put your bee suit on and the bees go back that's what it's all about,bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie
Sorry could not resist that one hope you sort them out

Despite all efforts one of my hives decided to swarm, they emerged at about 11 O'clock yesterday and settled on a low branch close to the hive.
So I suited up, ready to collect, by the time I returned they had gone.... Back to the hive!!!
They were all over the landing board and slowly moving back into the hive.

Later that afternoon they came out again, this time settling on a low shrub, again I suited up, and I'm sure you have guested they when back to the hive.

Now will they swarm again?, or give up. and why did they do this anyway?

The weather yesterday was bright and 25°c today it's about 18°c and light drizzle (although it will be 25°+ after lunch)

Any thoughts?

Nigel

are you sure they have not swarmed before and what you have is a virgin Queen going out on mating flights. I have seen this on the odd occaision on hives I know had a virgin Queen. bee-smillie

Steve

It's a French thing.

They take a 2 hr lunchbreak, then go out for a stroll together before returning to the office, just in time to stop work :rofl:

Latest posts

Back