Three eggs to a cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hasbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, on inspection three weeks ago I discover an open queen cell, believing that this may be a superceedure that had taken place I left it until last weekend to check if the queen had mated and laying eggs, I did see eggs, looked like one per cell but very sporadically spread around. On checking today I could see most of the cells that had eggs had three per cell, in my limited time I believe this is a worker/s laying...no sign of a queen. I have identified two current options, 1. Take a frame of Bias From another hive, there are still drones in my hives, Or 2.my mentor has kindly offered a brood box with brood ,Queen and bees (he is hoping to reduce his hive numbers ). Should I do either or another option please?

Hello, on inspection three weeks ago I discover an open queen cell, believing that this may be a superceedure that had taken place I left it until last weekend to check if the queen had mated and laying eggs, I did see eggs, looked like one per cell but very sporadically spread around. On checking today I could see most of the cells that had eggs had three per cell, in my limited time I believe this is a worker/s laying...no sign of a queen. I have identified two current options, 1. Take a frame of Bias From another hive, there are still drones in my hives, Or 2.my mentor has kindly offered a brood box with brood ,Queen and bees (he is hoping to reduce his hive numbers ). Should I do either or another option please?
I would advise patience, new queen's don't get it right all the time. Wait until you see if it is worker brood before you do anthing!
E

Sorry should have added that two of us went through the frames today and could not see a queen, new or old.

Three weeks from finding an open QC, way too early to assume failure. But more to the point a bit early to get laying workers unless......
When did you last see the original queen?
When you found the open QC, was there any brood (open, sealed eggs?)
also, virgin queens are notoriously hard to spot.

Sorry should have added that two of us went through the frames today and could not see a queen, new or old.
Trust me......be patient for a little longer! Although a test frame would not go amiss!

Just checked my notes, the last time I saw the queen was 17 July and there were three frames of BIAS, no queen cells, and on checking the front of the hive for the next few weeks there was plenty of pollen being brought in so I didn't open the brood box again until the 1st August.

Didnt answer all the questions, 1st August there was a small patch of sealed brood no eggs or larvae.

Multiple eggs in cells can indicate a young Queen who has not learnt to control her egg laying. Look at the pattern and look at whether the eggs are at the bottom of cells (queen) or stuck to the walls of the cells (workers - with shorter abdomens). Not seeing the queen is not necessarily indicative of queenlessness - just that you didn’t see one!

Laying workers are perfectly capable of depositing eggs in the bottom of cells and very often do.
Like Eric says. Use a test frame. An invaluable tool. It not only tells you whether the bees consider themselves queenright but often gets a reluctant new queen laying.

Laying workers are perfectly capable of depositing eggs in the bottom of cells and very often do.
:iagree:
We really should have a room 101 section where we can lay to rest all these beekeeping myths and legends.

:iagree:
We really should have a room 101 section where we can lay to rest all these beekeeping myths and legends.
You don't necessarily have to see multiple eggs either. If there is plenty of room you can get laying workers laying up whole frames with single eggs in a few days.

Thanks for your replies, will take advice on board.

Erm.. what's a test frame?
If you think you have a queenless colony, put in a frame from another colony which has eggs and very young larvae in
If the bees start making queen cells in that frame, then they are definitely queenless.
If they don't make queen cells, they might have a queen, or they may be queenless

A frame containing eggs and young larvae, so they can make a queen if they need one. No queen cells produced means high probability they are queen right, but not 100% as laying workers can confuse the issue. Queen cells produced means they are likely queen less.
Three replies at same time. How is that for service.?

A test frame ~ a frame taken from another hive containing eggs and small larvae - no bees clinging on - and is placed in the hive you think might be queenless.

It will have queen cells started after a day or two if no queen is present.

If no queen cells are made, then a queen is most likely present in that hive.

Aah, I see others have already responded. :) :nature-smiley-013:

If you think you have a queenless colony, put in a frame from another colony which has eggs and very young larvae in
If the bees start making queen cells in that frame, then they are definitely queenless.
If they don't make queen cells, they might have a queen, or they may be queenless
Thank you.. Another good reason to have more than 1 hive...

Back