Thornes electric 3 frame tangential spinnee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddyg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just bought one of these. Bolted it to the floor. Put 3 loaded National super frames in. Within 5 seconds had wrecked all 3 with motor going at a phenomenal speed. Cost £350. On Alibaba it costs $120! Some mark up. Made in China even though the Thornes site

Sorry went too quickly! The Thornes site says British manufacturer. Extremely high margin and misrepresented. Even their picture is different…

Just bought one of these. Bolted it to the floor. Put 3 loaded National super frames in. Within 5 seconds had wrecked all 3 with motor going at a phenomenal speed. Cost £350. On Alibaba it costs $120! Some mark up. Made in China even though the Thornes site
How fast did you spin it? Sounds like far too fast

It only goes at one speed. Extremely fast even though the controller says low to high…it only does high!

I have the same extractor and the speed ranges from very slow to faster than you'd ever use. Haven't blown a frame (yet).
Does sound like a dodgy controller. Give them a call, their customer service is pretty good in my experience.

They have agreed to take it back. I did uncap of course. Yes, I have no doubt it is a failed rheostat but Thornes indicate very high levels of quality control, just not evident.

They have agreed to take it back. I did uncap of course. Yes, I have no doubt it is a failed rheostat but Thornes indicate very high levels of quality control, just not evident.
If you're in funds, I'd go for a radial extractor with space for more frames - rather than get a replacement tangential.

I think the controller is very very poor. Speaking to a friend with a far better understanding of the dark arts of electricity than I have, the reason this is cheap is the motor and especially the controller are poor. When I turn my controller knob even the slightest touch can send it going far too fast, I very carefully set the speed while its empty for a slow spin, then switch off at the wall, put the supers in and switch on. I'm trying to get a proper controller put on mine, but since it fell over when I last used it, its the least of my extractor problems!!

Hello Martinat. That is really interesting. You have given me some good insight. Maybe I need to go manual!

Hello Martinat. That is really interesting. You have given me some good insight. Maybe I need to go manual!

Thorne are generally really good and I’ve had no problems with them, I had a conversation with their tech guy about my extractor, which is the Bee’s on a budget electric unimel, that came with strainers and buckets etc. At £420 it wasn’t cheap, but in “extractor land” it is. I have no idea why these things ultimately a barrel with a frame inside attached to a motor. My conversation got nowhere really apart from the old chestnut that you get what you pay for. I thought I’d paid quite a bit as it was. So I’m going to drop it off at a electricians and see if they can put a better controller on it. At the moment the only work around I have is what I said I do now, set the speed when empty and just switch on and off at the wall, not touching the controller knob. Bloody Bee’s.

Latest posts

Back