This section needs a kick !!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are your thoughts on MMA in the south crg ?

As in how pure it is? Or how suitable it is for beekeeping? :)

Purity wise, the only studies I have seen found that the further south the "AMM" colony the less pure it was.

I would never use it myself in my usual hives.

However I do have bees on a couple of conservation sites, and looked into getting a couple of pure AMM queens to setup observation hives for those sites, but I think the order was too small.

Sorry,yes I was asking regards your thoughts on suitability.

I would like to think that going down the Italian X route would be good for the southern climate but going on the last couple of summers......

I would like to think that going down the Italian X route would be good for the southern climate but going on the last couple of summers......

Last summer I started a couple of Italian hives up from packages in June and they brought in 50kg before autumn (when they were requeen with another type). So in London at least it seems they do okay.

i suspect Hivemaker is not a BIBBA fan and it's noticeable the further south the less interest there is in the native bee.

PH

in london, the native mongrel is an orange bee, looks like no Black bee in them at all, but if the solar physist piers corbyn is right and global arming is wrong, we will be kniiting them woolly coats...he predicts 50 years of cold and 4c drop in temperature...and he also predicted the cumbrian floods 3 months ago as 17/19 November http://www.weatheraction.com/docs/WANews09No88.pdf

...and he predicts another bad weather system in late december...white christmas anyone?

Last edited:
...and he also predicted the cumbrian floods 3 months ago as 17/19 November http://www.weatheraction.com/docs/WANews09No88.pdf
...and he predicts another bad weather system in late december...white christmas anyone?

I've seen these 'claims' many times being attributed to Piers Corbyn and every time they conveniently seem to be 'post event' For instance your link goes to a file created at 10am on Saturday 21st November saying that he had forecast these events '100 days ahead'

At 10am on 21st November it was 28 hours after the bridge had collapsed in Workington, enough time to read a newspaper on Friday evening and bang a few words out on the keyboard.

I note that his 'forecast archive' only goes back to a 30 day forecast for August

Do you have a link to his long range prediction for the events in November presumably dated from early August?

What about a link to a forecast he somehow got completely wrong?

1895 was the last time London had a blanket of snow on Christmas day.

Can he tell me what the FTSE is going to do tomorrow please.

I can tell you it will rise this afternoon and close up.

Not really a tip,I just read that the banks have won the charges case,it will make the money guys happy in the city and cause the ftse to rise this afternoon.

Yes they'll be happy with that.
I'm surprised it went their way.

So, what kind of queen?

Problem as well is when offspring mate in a couple of year's time character can change.

Last edited:
We Had Amm in our Association queen rearing apiary, the biggest single problem was the temper of projeny and they were extremely difficult to introduce successively to mongrel bees, they were either killed straight away or superceded in the autumn leaving a hybrid back in the apiary, we are now back to breeding best bees for our locality (salisbury)
kevin

they were extremely difficult to introduce successively to mongrel bees

OK, so what you are saying is they needed more of their own type of bees for queen introduction? Rearing a few in nucs and expanding them into full colonies should have removed that problem in what..... a season or perhaps a little more?

Regards, RAB

RAB
Sorry I had not re-checked this thread, our AMM queens came from Ireland, the original queens were excellent, small box bee not 14x12 as we use as they were slow to build up in spring, but the only way to keep purity in the strain was II, that we have not perfected yet, so the naturally mated projeny were like most first crosses bad tempered and even when caged for seven days over emerging brood in a nuc they still were either killed or superceded by the winter. I have moved to New world Carniolan and they are a great big box bee but not a bee for new beeks as they need to be watched very meticulously, but as they are used to populate nucs they never get a chance to get that strong, and are definitely easy to introduce .
kev

Back